I'm a new dad and I need advice

Options
When I say I'm a new dad, that's about all that's new on me. I'm 44 and my daughter just turn 1 month today. She is my best accomplishment but my issue is working out. Before her birth, I would get up at 4 AM and be at the gym at 5 work out until 7 and go to work. I would run at minimum 5 miles a day. I would mix in weight training throughout the week and I would watch what I eat. It goes without saying that when a baby comes into your life, life as you once knew it is over, and I am grateful for the change and welcome, I however do not welcome my waistline expanding and the general tiredness that comes with it. I try to motivate myself by saying, "I want to be able to play with her without huffing and puffing." I also don't want to embarrass her with my appearance for example "Is that old man your dad?" Call it ego, but I want other mother's to look at me and go "Sweet Jesus, what a DILF" More importantly, I want my wife to be proud to be with me. My problem is I AM SO TIRED AND I CAN'T GET MOTIVATED. I still wake up at 5, but I will just lay there until I absolutely have to get ready for work. I don't want any Advocare or any other product related advice. Sorry but I don't want to chug another SPARK drink or Noexplode. Just solid advice without the sales pitch

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are not a single dad, I'd suggest working out a schedule with your wife/SO so that you both have free time to work out. Your life has changed and you might not have time for the hours you used to put in, but you should still be able to find a few hours per week to workout. As the child grows you can look for activities that you can do with the child. Running with a stroller, one of those baby trailers for a bike, bike riding together once s/he gets to that age, etc.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. Today, I am exhausted.

My daughter was up every 2 hours last night complaining of a sore throat and stuffy nose (she's 4). I barely felt like I slept. So when my alarm when off at 4:30am, I wanted to just go back to bed. But I didn't.

Because I like having my evenings to be home with my family, cooking dinner, doing activities. I dont want to waste the few hours at night with my family working out.

It doesnt matter if you get up early or go at night...just try and find a good time to go where you won't miss out on a lot and be there to help your wife.

Good luck. You will be tired for 18 years :) haha
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'll be very honest - the newborn phase is hell and survival should be your primary goal right now. I expect you have a fair amount of interrupted sleep and that will greatly contribute to your tired feeling, even if you are still getting a cumulative equivalent amount. My husband was a wreck because he can do ok on only 5 hours sleep - but only if they are consecutive. He's a mess on 7 hours of 2-2.5 hour blocks.

Try to schedule with your partner to work out two or three times a week, but accept it may be awhile before there is a schedule that really allows you time to plan ahead. Things frequently start to level out about 3 months/12 weeks. Next go round, I'm not planning for much before that point, because sleep is so freaking precious (and I had a good sleeper!).

Remember that if you can't get in 3-5 workouts per week until she's a little older, that's ok. You will get there.

And congratulations, Dad.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the record, both my husband and I now work out at night after she's in bed. Our schedules simply don't allow us to do it at any other time, unless we were to get up at 4:00 am, and neither of us are willing or able to make that work. I'm generally running at 10:00 pm, but that is when it works.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The good news is, this phase won't last forever. Yes, you will have to modify things, but you will get used to a new normal.