Hard Gainer Program

Options
Hello all, I am a hard gainer that weights about 213 lbs. When I started trying to gain weight I weighed about 195 lbs. I am 6'4" and 35 years old. I want to gain muscle, but not much fat, which is proving to be difficult. My goal calorie intake is 3700 calories, which is a lot. I'd like to get to about 230 lbs. I also take GNC Strength vitapaks, MusclePharm creatine (5g non-lift days, 10g lift days) and a mass gainer. I work out every other day, but I haven't seen a whole lot of gain in my bench press as far as weight. Should I be taking anything else supplement-wise? Does it matter how I get my calories as long as I get about 200g of protein? I mean, is eating ice cream okay even though I don't want to gain fat, but weight? I am finding it very, very difficult to meet the myfitnesspro carb suggestions. I'm shooting for an NBA player body moreso than a bodybuilder body. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    drink your calories
    oreos
    ice cream
    pizza
    beer

When I'm low- those get me right where I need to be :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What about squats and deadlifts and other lifts, making gains there?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In terms of diet, you sound spot on. No need to take supplements or cut out ice cream.

Are you following a lifting program? Have you had your form checked?

ETA: If you have you macros set up correctly, protein and fats are minimums, carbs are a maximum. You don't need to "meet" the carb goal.
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Creatine, especially monohydrate, does take some time to accumulate in your body. Keep your diet you have right now and maybe review your lifting routine.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am a hard gainer that weights about 213 lbs. When I started trying to gain weight I weighed about 195 lbs. I am 6'4" and 35 years old. I want to gain muscle, but not much fat, which is proving to be difficult. My goal calorie intake is 3700 calories, which is a lot. I'd like to get to about 230 lbs. I also take GNC Strength vitapaks, MusclePharm creatine (5g non-lift days, 10g lift days) and a mass gainer. I work out every other day, but I haven't seen a whole lot of gain in my bench press as far as weight. Should I be taking anything else supplement-wise? Does it matter how I get my calories as long as I get about 200g of protein? I mean, is eating ice cream okay even though I don't want to gain fat, but weight? I am finding it very, very difficult to meet the myfitnesspro carb suggestions. I'm shooting for an NBA player body moreso than a bodybuilder body. Any input would be appreciated.

I would suggest clean eating if you want to be lean, but I'm not one who can reap the benifits of IIFYM.
    If you want to boost your testosterone naturally you could google the benifits of Vitamine D and Zinc also look at the anti-catabolic benifits of Vitamine C. Magnesium and fish oils for recovery.
    Just food for thought
    Like I said tho make sure to reaserch if it would apply for your needs and proper dosage.
  • tglynn44
    tglynn44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Seems like my leaks may very well be in my lifting routine and not my diet. I do very little deadlifting at all. I've had a couple knee injuries in the past and I typically lift alone so I've been a little gunshy doing these lifts. Maybe it's time to be a big boy and start doing these more regularly. I primarily do bench, incline, push-ups, slam ball, bent over raises, shoulder press and then for legs do jumping exercises and an occasional squat where I keep the bar in front of me rather than behind me.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What about squats and deadlifts and other lifts, making gains there?

I want to repeat this. If you aren't already, you need to be working your entire body.

I didn't quite understand from your question... are you having trouble gaining weight, or gaining muscle? Either way, your calories need to be more than enough, or a "moderate" surplus. Don't overdo it or you'll gain a lot of extra fat ( some is to be expected). Bt for gaining muscle, you need the extra calories, and you need to have trained the muscle appropriately.

When you gain some fat along with your muscle, don't worry, you can go on a cut sometime.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There is an entire spectrum of results people see from resistance training and healthy eating. Some people can only half-halfheartedly try, yet make impressive gains. Some people can work like maniacs, and see very little. This is just a fact of life. It's genetics. Don't compare yourself to others or worry about what you think is a lack of progress - the important thing is that your efforts have made you better than you were before.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Anytime you are at a caloric surplus you will be putting on fat... its just the way the body works... So I would not be too concerned about putting on the fat but at the same time just do not eat junk food to hit your calorie macro.

I did not see in your post anything about lifting heavy on Squats or Deadlifts. Those two lifts, when lifting big, will put on some slabs of meat on your frame. What does your lifting program look like? Are you volume training, power lifting, strength training?
  • tglynn44
    Options
    From the responses, which are all helpful and appreciated by the way, it's pretty clear I need to focus more on the dead lifts. I have been lifting very heavy weights at low reps, which has taken a little bit of a toll on my joints (shoulders mostly), but I haven't focused enough on the heavy deadlifts so I will give that a go tonight.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Learn to dead lift if you haven't before. Trying to go heavy from the jump will not be good. From what you said "you will give them a go tonight." sounds like you haven't really done them. This isn't something to just try when it comes to dead lifts. It is a technical lift. You can end up in Snap City real quick if you don't learn proper form. Ease into dead lifts if they are new to you. Watch some videos and practice really light for the first few sessions. Now if you know what you are doing by all means go for it like crazy. It's my favorite lift.
  • tglynn44
    Options
    I haven't done them with any regularity since high school so I will definitely plan on easing into it until I have the form. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on form, but of course watching it on a computer and actually executing it are two different animals.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hey

You should squat too, along with the deadlifts. Don't be afraid of them because you've had knee trouble (obviously depending on seriousness - check with your doc if it was something drastic), I have zero knee pain since squatting. As long as you are getting to parallel or below, you will build up the muscles that support the joint.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of compound lifts but there is also nothing wrong with using machines for resistance training. It sounds like you do plenty of other stuff with would be stimulating the smaller stability muscles anyway. I love my deadlifts and squats but if you can't find a competent trainer to teach you correct form, start with some machines to just get some stimulus.

And yes, bench press is one of the hardest lifts to make progress with.
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    eating 3700 calories a day you don't really need supplements except for creatine lol. Get a solid lifting program and you should be good!