Can a treadmill "hear" my HRM?

Options
I was doing my C25K program wearing a New Balence N4 HRM with a chest strap. While I was running, I looked down at the treadmill interface and it had my heart rate on it but I had not touched the sensors for that entire workout. It matched my watch numbers within two beats. I am a little confused because I didn't think that my HRM would talk to the treadmill.

The treadmill I am using is a Matrix brand at the local gym. It should be at least 2-3 years old (if not older). It knows my pace and weight. When I'm not useing the HRM I touch the sensors because I feel that this machine can give me the best calorie count. My HRM calorie count is usually double of the treadmill.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing a Polar or Polar-compatible chest strap, commercial cardio equipment can pick up the signal and display your heart rate on the console. They have receiver modules plugged into the console.

They may have HR interactive programs that can use your HR signal to change the workload, but the equipment will not use your heart rate to estimate calories burned. Since the equipment can measure the actual workload, it doesn't need heart rate. In most cases, the calorie readout on a commercial treadmill is more accurate than an HRM (if you don't hold onto the handrails). If their is a big discrepancy between the treadmill and your HRM, it is likely your HRM is not set up properly, and that you have a higher than average max HR.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have to worry about it now. My HRM watch decided that my heart is beating 240 bpm when I'm mot wearing the strap. Time to get a new one.