Am i losing what I should be

Options
I've been maintaining a 1200 calorie a day diet for 18 days now and have only lost 4.8 pounds, it seems like I should have lost more by now?

Replies

• spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty reasonable - almost 2 lbs/week (if you do the math). That's usually the most "recommended" by experts.

It takes more than a week to gain weight, so it takes more than a week to lose it all! (it IS a bit frustrating, but worth it!)
  • luceyfer
    luceyfer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating! Although I find it easier to stick with this then anything else I've tried.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 33 lbs total, so you should be aiming for 1 lb/wk. You always lose a few pounds fast in the beginning because of water weight, so if you lost 3 lbs the first week and 1 lb for the next two weeks, you're right on target. Slow and steady while learning to change your habits to make them sustainable are the keys to losing weight and keeping it off permanently.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    That looks like a pretty good number to me! 1.5 -- 2 lbs per week is pretty killer.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 33 lbs total, so you should be aiming for 1 lb/wk. You always lose a few pounds fast in the beginning because of water weight, so if you lost 3 lbs the first week and 1 lb for the next two weeks, you're right on target. Slow and steady while learning to change your habits to make them sustainable are the keys to losing weight and keeping it off permanently.

I agree with this losing too fast with too few calories will lead to losing muscle mass along with fat
  • luceyfer
    luceyfer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has been very easy to keep to the 1200 calorie a day diet, it makes me much more aware of what I'm eating. I have realized I would rather eat a salad and a veggie burger on half a tortilla and stay full, then eat a piece of pizza and have wasted 500 calories and be hungry two hours later. I am discourged when I go to finish my log for the day and it says I will only be 10 pounds lighter in 5 weeks, but progress is progress and as long as it comes off thats what matters.