Wear HRM to Body Pump class?

Options
Evening all,

I have started attending a body pump class to gain some strength and tone up and also ultimately improve my running.

My new heart rate monitor has arrived and whilst I know that strength training isn't a great calorie burner and HRMs are not really that accurate at measuring calories burned doing weights, I would still like to log something. (I have been previously using exercise from the MFP database coming in at around just over 100 cals for 35 mins).

Shall I wear it to the class?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I probably would but not for the reason you've listed.

I'd wear it as a way of:

1) measuring fitness improvements (ie avg hr now vs avg hr 8 or 10 weeks from now)
    2) visualize (assuming you can export data and graph it) changes in recovery hr over time which is another indicator of improved cardiac fitness
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wear it to class- body pump isn't strength training- it's cardio.

you'll be fine.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do. I know not to take strength training readings as totally accurate but we know we burn less calories during strength training and my HRM matches that with a relatively low reading. I like it as a guide.

Also I burned 305 in 60 minutes last week at pump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you know you want to
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the resposnes guys! I shall be wearing it! :smile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have in the past, and the burn was pretty comparable to what MFP gives me by using calisthenics, light to moderate effort (it's called something like that LOL). So now I just use that. I burn around 225 calories for a 55 minute class.