Fat loss vs muscle gain

Options
I am curious to know if some outside variables are included in the weight loss goals on the calculator here. If I am doing strength training along with cardio workouts, will there not be some fluctuation between what I am losing and gaining in weight? I am also curious about other X-factors; like having a slow or high metabolism, any vitamin supplements, and food that promote your metabolism naturally being high in capsaicin, etc. Should I also keep a measurement diary along with a dietary one?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know if some outside variables are included in the weight loss goals on the calculator here. If I am doing strength training along with cardio workouts, will there not be some fluctuation between what I am losing and gaining in weight? I am also curious about other X-factors; like having a slow or high metabolism, any vitamin supplements, and food that promote your metabolism naturally being high in capsaicin, etc. Should I also keep a measurement diary along with a dietary one?

In 99% of cases, you can't burn fat while building muscle. To gain muscle, you have to eat at a surplus...with that, comes a little fat. If you are eating at a deficit, you aren't gaining muscle.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    By all means keep a measurement log. The scale is not the only way to measure progress. Take photos too!

Certain foods don't really boost metabolism. Your metabolism is not something subject to the whims of one hot chilli pepper. Plus... the number of calories given you here are just an estimate anyways. Treat them as such. Try that number for a while, and see if you are heading in the right direction at the right rate. Adjust as necessary. That'll take care of any "metabolism" issues.

Even if you were putting on muscle (unlikely in a deficit), it is slow hard work. A young, testosterone-filled, male with spot on diet (surplus) and a great, consistent training program will only put on a couple of pounds a month. It's going to be harder the older you get. Think of the weights you are doing as preserving your current muscle (and building strength), not building new muscle.
  • R4z3rsPar4d0x
    R4z3rsPar4d0x Posts: 2 Member
    Options

In 99% of cases, you can't burn fat while building muscle. To gain muscle, you have to eat at a surplus...with that, comes a little fat. If you are eating at a deficit, you aren't gaining muscle.

If you maintain weight would you be able to convert fat to muscle?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

If you maintain weight would you be able to convert fat to muscle?

Body recomp (eating at maintenance and building muscle/losing fat) is a hard slow go...it takes attention to detail with your macros.