protein

Options
jackjb2
jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
How can I add more protein for breakfast--without increasing fat or cholesterol?

Replies

• ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    Options
    protein shake......Optimum Nutrition whey protein has 24 grams per scoop (120 calories).........
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Protein powder (read labels carefully) or eggwhites.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been adding a Butterball sliced Turkey Filet grilled on my George Forman every morning to my breakfast meal. It gives me a lean no additive alternative to normal breakfast meats. It does add 70mg cholesterol but the 28 grams of protein and 110 calories are stellar. Good Luck!
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    You could try swapping in higher protein foods for lower ones; eat certain cold cereals, steel cut oats, etc. with soy/cow's milk and that's a lot of carbs + protein, but low fat. It depends how your other 2 macros are doing; are you overeating carbs and undereating protein?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are your concerns with fat and cholesterol? Eating fat doesn't make you fat, and fats from things like nuts and fish are very much needed by your body (so peanut butter on toast, or smoked salmon, trout or mackerel all make good breakfasts)

The cholesterol in eggs does not imapct your blood cholesterol either. Now, you may have other reasons for being concerned about these macros, but perhaps you dont need to be overly restrictive.

Other protein breakfasts - Greek yoghurt, baked beans, cottage cheese.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    protein shake
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Eggs.

The cholesterol will not raise your cholesterol and fat is an essential part of the diet, as well as being good for satiety.
  • bweck33
    bweck33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    protein shake
    - Mario_Az

^^^^ He looks like he knows what he's talking about... lol
  • Minouche1922
    Minouche1922 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Biotrust milkshake at 150 calories. Taste wonderful and free from chemicals.
  • ryankerzan
    Options
    Egg whites or egg beaters! Whole eggs are good, and cost effective. The Cholesterol in them doesn't hang with you.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Eggs.

The cholesterol will not raise your cholesterol and fat is an essential part of the diet, as well as being good for satiety.

You do not know the medical condition of the OP, so I wouldn't suggest eggs.

Yes, eggs are in fact good for cholesterol, but there are a handful of people who still CAN NOT have eggs due to their unique health conditions.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    To the author, I'd recommend a protein shake, or alternatively even some forms of lean meat such as chicken breast or Ostrich meat. You WILL have some fat content, but it's not bad fats. The only fat I'd recommend one completely avoids is Trans Fats.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Egg whites have 0 Cholesterol.
    Almond Milk has 0 Cholesterol
    Protein powders vary, mine specifically has 30 mg.

8 oz Unsweetened Almond Milk

Optimum Whey Mocha (or any other.)

200 grams liquid egg whites.

---

Takes about 15 seconds to drink, tastes pretty good, and Equates to around:

44g Protein, 3.5g Fat, 3.5g Carbs, 30mg Cholesterol.

222 Calories

----

If you used 0% milk the macros would equate to approximately

52g Protein, 1g Fat, 15g Carbs.

And 277 Calories
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Eggs.

You do not know the medical condition of the OP, so I wouldn't suggest eggs.

Yes, eggs are in fact good for cholesterol, but there are a handful of people who still CAN NOT have eggs due to their unique health conditions.

The OP has not mentioned a medical problem. If he did so then suggestions could be more tailored accordingly. But if OP has a serious medical condition then he should be consulting a dietitian, not MFP users.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Protein powder
    Protein bars
    Egg whites
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Peanut/almond/sunflower seed butter
    Goat cheese or lot fat mozzarella
    Chia seeds
    Hemp seeds