High Cholesterol - What to eat and what to avoid?

Options
Hi everyone,

My husband has high cholesterol (its hereditary)

I'm looking for advice on which types of food will be a good choice. I know take aways, sweets, alcohol and smoking are a no go zone initially (at least until he has it down to a good level)

I know lots of veges, lean meats. What I need help with is - are there any types of fruit he should avoid? Are oats a good choice for breakfast - and if so are they ok with milk (specifically HeartActive milk: http://www.pura.com.au/brands.aspx?id=2540 )

Nuts - dry roasted no salt. Are cashews OK? He enjoys these and they would make a good snack. Dried sultanas (without anything added) are they ok?

Is there any food in particular that would be really positive for him to eat, spinach maybe?

I'm currently doing alot of reading online, but there seems to be alot of information and people in here so thought I would give this a go also.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Brandeche
    Options
    Sounds like the diet is getting under control. Cholesterol isn't really due to the foods you eat as much as how your body handles the food. So the lean meats and lots of fruits and veggies is key. The missed component is often exercise. Adding that will do more to lower his cholesterol than any one dietary change, because just avoiding whole milk or just avoiding eggs isn't the solution (contrary to what we were taught in the 80s and 90s). If he has diabetes, controlling the processed carbs is also key to controlling blood sugar as well as cholesterol. As a familial high cholesterol guy, though, all the diet and exercise in the world may not really, really control it. But that's always the very best first place to start. Good luck! (credentials in case you care: physician treating cholesterol and diabetes and heart disease)
  • CrimsonStain
    CrimsonStain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Familial hypercholesterolemia? Hmm, I disagree with Brandeche. Cholesterol levels do fluctuate based on what you consume (and exercise). Someone who eats sausage, pork, hamburger, fast food, fried foods, etc. on a daily basis will certainly have much higher cholesterol than someone who doesn't. While with familial hypercholesterolemia, it's a bit more difficult to control. Some alternative therapies here, listed in my medical surgical nursing book, offer some insights. Garlic has shown inconsistent scientific evidence for lowering total cholesterol, so keep that in mind. Niacin has strong scientific evidence for increasing HDL (high-density lipoproteins, also known as the "good" cholesterol since it removes cholesterol from the arteries to the liver). Omega-3 fatty acids have also shown solid evidence for reducing triglyceride levels. You can find omega-3s in a variety of foods such as fish (salmon), flax seed, cereals and other bars enhanced with omega-3, walnuts and more. Cashews are good in monosaturated fats but only have trace amounts of omega-3. Other sources that are helpful with reduction of cholesterol are psyllium, plant sterols, red yeast rice and soy. Exercise certainly increases levels of HDLs, which is desirable. Oats are perfectly fine, it may be best to grab the plain to avoid additive ingredients in the flavored ones. I use plain oatmeal, but enhance it naturally with apples and cinnamon. Sultanas are perfectly fine, seeing as they have zero cholesterol. I believe omega-3 is probably the most positive foods for his condition along with vegetables and fruits. Possibly substitute meats with more fish (avoid heavy amounts of meats like sausage and greasy hamburger. Chicken & turkey are better). Being healthy certainly doesn't have to be boring, there are plenty of spices and recipes out there that make healthy choices delicious! :smile: Be sure to take everything I say with a grain of salt, it's smart to do your own research. Hopefully this helps, happy feasting :drinker: