Bread and cereal-- how long to get over the relationship?

2»

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Im exactly the same with my cereal - They DO NOT last long in the house at all - 30grams for one serving.... Yeah right???

I can easily get through a box like you likes there is no tomorrow.

The only way I stop this is by not buying it - That is the only answer.

Don't buy the bread/cereals then you wont be tempted.

When cereal is in my cupboard I just eat it for fun, while in the kitchen doing nothing, watching tv, for breakfast, snacks etc.... Then the whole box just disappears .... I am a cereal addict though... Ha Ha!!!

Good luck!

Try protein for breakfast - I love oats with PB will fill you up a lot longer than processed cereal that we love : )
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    I'm also a carbo-holic! I ate the 100 cal sandwich thins and bagels instead of loaves of fresh baked French bread. I stopped buying "good" bread bc I simply cannot be left alone with it. What has been working for me: stopped buying certain things I know I can't only have a portion of; stopped baking; stopped eating cereal for breakfast I will still eat "good" bread if I go to a restaurant or bagels and I do eat cereal occassionally bc now I'm more comfortable with portion control and logging everything really made a huge difference for me.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    You need to improve your relationship with food.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    There is something super-addictive about soft (or crusty) white bread and sweet, crunchy cereals. As I young person, I could easily eat my way through several white bread rolls and even now I could eat half a loaf of ciabatta (warm with loads of butter...). My answer is just don't.

Also, as mentioned, swapping refined carbs for wholemeal, fruit n veg, protein and a bit of good fat all helps to keep you satisfied.

I eat porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast every day and find it filling for several hours. I might treat myself to two slices of toast on a Saturday but not when I'm watching calories. We never have cereal in the house so it's just not something we eat.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Unless, you have a gluten intolerance, there's not an argument as why you should avoid these foods. Oats have proven to reduce cholesterol, and bread are rich in b vitamins, and are a good source of fibre.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    If you are exercising, look up how much you need to do to cover a bowl of cereal. Weigh out how much cereal you can "afford" to eat that day to enter into your macros. If you can't fit it in--don't touch it. Save it for tommorow and exercise to cover it. Even a long walk. You have to inform your body that it can have what it wants--but it needs to work for it. I enjoy my cereal and bread. Now that I eat less of it, I insist on better quality. That way it seems a treat.
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member

Of course I do! No need to state the obvious.

Thanks for your helpful input (not)!

For everyone else, thank you for your helpful tips and advice! it is much appreciated!
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    I too LOVE cereal but i have a nasty habit of standing at the counter, milk and cereal box out, just re filling and re filling. One thing I've found that works (other than exercising self control and putting the milk and box AWAY haha) is putting some cereal on yogurt. I get my cereal fix but it's not as easy to just continue chowing down like it is the normal way- plus it takes longer to eat.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member

Of course I do! No need to state the obvious.

Thanks for your helpful input (not)!

For everyone else, thank you for your helpful tips and advice! it is much appreciated!

I could be wrong, but I don't think he was being snarky. To label some foods as absolute no's and forbid yourself of something you enjoy can be detrimental to your goals. To say, my family has addiction problems and mine is breads, takes on a victim mentality with food. It is food. Eat what fits in your goals and then stop. Exercise will power. If you need to limit the amount you have available to you as you are learning moderation then that is fine, but saying "it is my trigger" is giving yourself an excuse to go crazy with a normal food.

I love pasta. I could happily eat it for every meal and in large quantities, but I choose to eat less of it. If I had to give it up in order to be healthy, I don't know that I would. However, I don't have to give anything up. I need to practice self control in having one or two serving sizes not one or two huge platefuls. If you want to give it up for some other reason, then go for it, but don't think eliminating bread is going to solve your lack of self control.
  • tigerlilly24
    tigerlilly24 Posts: 130 Member
    I am on a low carb diet and so I have not eaten cereal in over 3 months. It took me like 30 days to not crave it but I love my eggs, bacon and cottage cheese now it feels so much more filling and energizing. And of course there's not all that processed sugar crap! If you are just cutting bread and cereal maybe just buy healthier cereal and only eat a portion size so you don't feel so deprived. And then just have some kind of protein to go with it so you will feel fuller for longer. As for bread I bought low carb tortillas and toufouyan smart bagels to replace those foods that just HAVE TO HAVE bread! No they're not the same but seriously better than nothing. The human body and mind requires 30 days to adopt new habits and not balk at the change so just commit yourself to do it for 30 days. If at the end it still is very difficult then go back to your old habits and try something new. Best of luck!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Breaking up with bread would be horrible. I eat in moderation.
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    I am on a low carb diet and so I have not eaten cereal in over 3 months. It took me like 30 days to not crave it but I love my eggs, bacon and cottage cheese now it feels so much more filling and energizing. And of course there's not all that processed sugar crap! If you are just cutting bread and cereal maybe just buy healthier cereal and only eat a portion size so you don't feel so deprived. And then just have some kind of protein to go with it so you will feel fuller for longer. As for bread I bought low carb tortillas and toufouyan smart bagels to replace those foods that just HAVE TO HAVE bread! No they're not the same but seriously better than nothing. The human body and mind requires 30 days to adopt new habits and not balk at the change so just commit yourself to do it for 30 days. If at the end it still is very difficult then go back to your old habits and try something new. Best of luck!

thanks this is really helpful input!! Much appreciated!
  • wannastayfit
    wannastayfit Posts: 25 Member
    My nutritionist gave the advice to eat proteins with every carb - this has helped me a lot! I only have 2 cereals left in my home - Cracklin oat bran for family snacks and bran flakes - this has helped me a lot too. As for breads, I only eat whole wheat now with chicken or peanut butter - again, a protein. Good luck!
  • wannastayfit
    wannastayfit Posts: 25 Member
    x
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I don't avoid the foods I like to eat. Practice adding it into your calorie limit and you'll be fine. Unless there is a medical reason not to eat certain foods then eat in moderation. The more you practice the better you will be able to do it.
    This.

I still eat bread and cereal. I don't eat two bowls of Coco Pebbles for breakfast any more like I used to because it's not enough fuel for me - I've changed my breakfast habits - but I still eat it as a snack before bed!

And my breakfasts now are generally eggs and whole wheat or sourdough toast (with butter of course!), or oatmeal topped with yogurt, fruit, nuts & honey.

I still eat sandwiches with whatever kind of bread I want, although I'll often use one slice, cut it in half, but still use the same amount of meat or filling - all the meat and half the bread! And potato chips on the side (weighed out on my food scale, and then with the rest of the bag put away).

Fit the foods you love into your goals, learn to eat proper portions - you don't want to never eat them again, do you? :tongue:
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Look for bread/cereal that contains a good amount of fiber.

I have diabetes so bread is something that I truly do avoid, as is cereal. When I do have either, I stay away from things made with enriched white flour and things that are covered in sugar. I am also very careful to look at the serving size and number of carbohydrates in each serving. I take out a single serving and put the rest away. I now focus on getting my carbohydrates from whole grains, veggies, and fruit instead.

I do miss bread at times. On an ordinary day I don't think about it, but eating with other people can be really tough. It is hard for me to watch someone else eat bread at a restaurant, so I'll usually have a half of a roll. I just know that I need to take a short walk or choose a salad over soup.

I think it is all about balance. You can have whatever you want (barring medical restrictions), just eat responsibly!
  • alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    I realize this a very old post however I noticed in all the answers you received few responses actually "answered" your question.
    Last time it took me about 1 month to cease craving it- meaning, literally walking past it in the grocery store very casually like 'nah, don't like that stuff.'

I am once again re-embarking on my no cereal no bread quest because it was working for me and contrary to some I find reaching the peak of moderation much harder than going cold turkey. When you love something it's difficult to pour it, crave it, feel the endorphins kicking in, try to eat it slowly but its so good it's gone in 5 minutes, then return the box to the shelf all while trying to move on to another activity and pining for a second bowl. It's EXHAUSTING! Instead, do not buy it. You do not HAVE to eat bread, there's no law stating so and your body can gather complex carbs from starches and other sources. Moderation does take time to master and it's a beautiful principle but in this case going cold turkey may more quickly allow you to reach your goals- no point in shooting yourself in the foot until it "sinks in." JMO