Has anyone tried the Fitbit?

Options
I just want a really good detail of how I am doing. I am worried I am estimating and that is a detriment to me. Would anyone recommend Fitbit?

btw - wish this site had a spell check feature. So sorry about my spelling!

Replies

• Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I had never heard of it so I just looked it up. I too would like to know if anyone else has tried this product. Price seems very reasonable if it does what it says.
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Use Firefox as your browser. It has a built-in spell check feature for all text boxes :smile:
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just bought it, should be here in 2 to 3 days. I will give a review once I have it.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It looks very interesting...I'd be interested in hearing your reviews of it. It doesn't ship to Canada yet though :(
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I was thinking horse tack when I saw the topic. :happy:

It looks interesting -- I'd like the sleep tracker portion myself.
  • cberen
    Options
    Never even heard of it before you posted, but it looks pretty cool. A pedometer/sleep tracker on crack :) However, yet another fitness site to log into might be overkill?
  • susan7047
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...my birthday is very soon and this might be the perfect gift from me to me. I checked out the website and it looks really good. The only drawback is I think if I used it I might now use this website anymore. It is very similar to the Body Bug which the contestants on the Biggest Loser used a few seasons ago. However, much cheaper. Very interested in reviews.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I just went to the site and ordered it. It sounds awesome. I've been checking HRMs but never found one that I was interested in.
    They said it won't be shipped til mid-Oct because of back orders.
  • susan7047
    Options
    I did a little more research on the fitbit. I read a review and then signed up for the website. You are able to use the website without buying the fitbit. This is a nice feature but unfortunately it may have taken some of the wind out of my sails. The food tracker is not nearly as easy as the one on this site. They didn't have low sugar instant oatmeal in there database....it didn't track sugar or (from what I can figure) give you the option to add it if you wanted to track it. It tracked calories, fat, protein, carbs...and I think that was it without pulling up the website again. I think this site is much more user friendly.

So, I am kind of on the fence. I think the calorie tracking would be helpful in my weightloss but I don't know that I could keep up with 2 websites. Hmmmmmmm what to do...what to do!
  • raindancer
    Options
    I checked and instead of adding individual foods on fitbit I can add as a single food the calorie total from MFP and it will still work.
    I just order the fitbit but i have been checking ou the site. It really doesn't have alot of the food I eat . You have to enter the info yourself. That is too much trouble. I just keep using MFP.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing it right now. :smile:

It's pretty much just a glorified pedometer but it's really small and cute and way more inconspicuous than a bodybug. It also doesn't measure your heart rate or body temperature or whatever else a bodybug does so you have to take that into consideration.

The daily expended calories are pretty close to what's on here and it's pretty uncanny how close the calories I burn during my walks are when compared to my heart rate monitor. Calories burned during walking dvds....not so much. It's usually about 100 calories less but since we're supposed to deduct the calories burned for just being alive from that total, I'm not too worried about it.

I like it so far.
  • raindancer
    Options
    Glassyo: I'm a real sucker for new gadgets:laugh: I hope I won't be disappointed. I'm hoping it will make me more aware of how little I really walk.
    I had several pedometers but they were never accurate. You know bend over and you have taken 5 steps. Where do you wear yours? The site forums talked about women wearing in front and cener on the bra.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    During the day, I wear it on my bra strap, right where the strap part meets the....not strap part. :smile:

When I'm walking and when I do my dvds, I wear it clipped a little left of my right hip on whatever exercise pants I'm wearing. I'd wear it BFC but I get kinda sweaty and I don't wanna push my luck (altho it shouldn't be too bad)!

If you have an extra $100 to spare, I'd say it's worth it.

But it makes you so aware of how little you're walking! *cough* I'm lazy and I know it. Now, I'm walking in place while the popcorn is being popped and during commercials (not even really sure it's registering on the fitbit but *I* know I'm doing it and that's all that matters.
  • raindancer
    Options
    I ordered it yesterday, They say it will deliver in October.,but one of the staff on the forum said it will be more like 2 months .
    I'm giving it to myself for christmas so its all good:laugh:
  • piquilter
    Options
    Santa brought me a fitbit :) Thanks for the suggestion of just adding MFP totals as a single meal. I had to add my yogurt this morning & I'm just not in the mood to re-enter foods when MFP has it all :smile:
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of this so I looked it up. I read a review on engadget that makes me think that it isn't the tool for me. But, I already have a pedometer, a HRM, a food scale, a fat loss monitor, a good body weight scale and most of all, MFP!!!.

It doesn't sound as though it would give me any more helpful info than I already have the technology for.

Not saying it wouldn't be good, just read the reviews first.
  • raindancer
    Options
    Santa brought me a fitbit :) Thanks for the suggestion of just adding MFP totals as a single meal. I had to add my yogurt this morning & I'm just not in the mood to re-enter foods when MFP has it all :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139676-walking-with-pedometers
    Here is a link for a challenge where we try for 10k steps a day. We would love to have you join us.
  • piquilter
    Options
    raindancer: thank you for the link! I've already checked it out :smile:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Any updates from the Fitbit users?

Ideally, I would get a Bodymedia, but I can't shell out $250 right now, and then pay for a subscription on top of that. This is also more easily concealed, which is a major perk if I must wear it 99% of the day.

But no heart rate monitoring and skin sensing makes me wonder how accurate it is.

Success? Reviews? Suggestions?
  • bayba792
    bayba792 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wanted a fitbit since last year when I saw it on the doctors show, I read a lot of reviews and some people switched from the bodybug to the fitbit. Hopefully this year I'll get one!