How do you change the base Calories

Options
If you are doing a 500 cal a day diet - like the HCG diet. I don't see a way to change this benchmark for starting calories you can eat in one day.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can change it manually, but MFP suggest not eating below 1200/day anything less can slow your metabolism down not to mention a whole host of other issues that would go along. Eating less than 1200/day can also lead to malnutrition, if it is carried on for a few weeks.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    This site is designed for healthy sustainable long term weight loss - 500 a day is just bad for you - you might loose some weight fast but you will be damaging your health and then you will put it on again twice as fast - but if you must, you can set your parameters manually -
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    To change your calories to 500, not suggested by any health experts, go to "My Home." Once there click on "Goals." When given the option, select "change goals." Select "Custom" and conitnue. Enter 500 in the first box and click "change goals" at bottom.

Again, crash diets are not good for you. They slow down your metabolism and burn more muscle than fat. In the end, when you come off it, you will have less muscle mass compared to fat mass. Eating a minumum of 1,200 and exercising will keep the muscle on and lose the fat.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You can manually make your goal 500 cals a day but you are going to do damge to your metabolism. It can slow down and make even burning those 500 cals difficult. If you do not plan on eating only 500 cals/day for the rest of your life then this is a very bad idea. As soon as you drop the weight and try eating "normal", even if it's a very healthy "normal", your metabolism may have already suffered the consequences. Eating anything over the 500, if the 500 was maintained for weeks, will cause rapid weight gain. And then why did you put yourself through that in the first place??
  • zavvydog
    Options
    Thanks everyone for showing me how to change it. and adjust my daily requirements. The HCG diet is short term - 3 weeks and then after that you go on maintenance for 3 weeks- no sugar no carbs- and from there your metabolic rate adjusts.