Breakfast Smoothie

Options
luca15306
luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
Currently for breakfast I have a blended banana with skimmed milk and crushed ice. This has been great during my weight loss, but think its time for a change as I move to maintenance soon hopefully.
Does anyone have any quick easy smoothie recipes?
I don't mind using skimmed milk but prefer to stay away from juice.. and keep the recipe under 250 calories :)
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. thanks a lot :)

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have this smoothie after my workout every morning:
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1/4 cup Berries
    1/4 Banana
    1 cup Kale
    1 scoop Vanilla Whey Powder
    It's 285 calories, but if you leave out the whey it would be much much less since a scoop is over 100 calories. It's super quick if you prep. I put the berries, banana, and kale into individual portion bags with a little lemon juice, then freeze enough for a little over a week. This means that I don't need ice too. Whatever recipe you decide on, try freezing it. Having it handy in prepacked bags makes it very quick to grab it and mix with some milk when you're in a hurry and it lasts much longer especially if you're using berries.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing smoothies over the winter, but am looking forward to them again now that its warming up.

I love the recipes from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Smoothie-Magic-Delicious-Recipes/dp/0980531934/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1395997351&sr=8-7&keywords=green+smoothies

My favorite combination is melon/pineapple/mango with mint and spinach for greens. If I want to add some protein I'll add some cashews or almonds, or even a raw egg. I know some people raw eggs are a big nono, but I've been doing it for years. I think its fine as long as your eggs are fresh. If I'm doing a breakfast smoothie I'll always add some protein, but as an afternoon refreshment I don't always bother. I never add juice, normally just water and maybe some yogurt.

I love the idea of having my smoothie ingredients preportioned and frozen!
  • Churchbell06
    Options
    1 Banana
    1 Cup Spinach
    1/4 Pineapple (1 cup ish)
    1 Cup water
    1 Apple

I cut up the banana, pineapple and apple and put in individual serving sizes in the freezer, with the spinach as well. I also found that while this would make me really full when I drank it, I would be hungry later, so I did start adding 1 TBSP of Flax Seed and 1 TBSP of some Soy Protein Powder. As mentioned though, that does up the calorie content.
  • sabbyfairy
    sabbyfairy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek yogurt (can be subbed for a partially frozen banana)
    2 cups blackberries
    1/3 cup vanilla almond milk

Using Chobani, it's about 270 calories. I can imagine a banana instead would have the potential to drop it, but using Greek yogurt makes it filling for longer. Dannon has a light and fit Greek that's less calories than Chobani.

Try adding blueberries or blackberries to what you're doing now, along with kale.
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    Here's mine:
    1 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened)
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1 tablespoon sugar-free caramel syrup

This comes to 245 calories.
    I drink this on days that I have had a hard workout and don't have time to sit down for a meal. If I was making this everyday, I would probably use plain yogurt/Greek yogurt in place of the whey protein.
  • cheekym7
    cheekym7 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie everyday. I throw in a banana and whatever I feel like that day Strawberries, rasberries, spinich, pinapple, mango, peach.... I just blend it with water. Sometimes I might add 1/8tsp vanilla extract for extra taste. If I'm really hungry I will add half soy or almond milk and I just recently bought whey to mix in for when I need to meet calories. I find them pretty filling and they perk me right up :)
  • shellyblle
    shellyblle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup of greek yoghurt to give me protein, never feel hungry during morning!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    2 cups ANY frozen fruit
    30g spinach
    1 cup skim milk

I have that almost every morning since I got my Blendtec. That is about 250 cals depending on fruit. I also add a scoop of protein powder, but that is 120cals on it's own.
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1/2 Banana
    1 sm Green apple
    1/2 Cup 100% apple juice
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    dash nutmeg and cinnamon

Tastes just like an apple pie!