Am I working out too much or too little?

Options
Ok so I want to reduce my body fat and my weight.
Im 5'9, 144lbs, 26.5% body fat and I want to be 130lb by summer and reduce my bodyfat significantly.
I work out at home so this is my workout routine:

Mon- 30dayshred, arms/back strength training
Tues- 30dayshred, legs/thighs/butt ST
Wed- 30dayshred, abs/obliques ST
Thurs- 30dayshred, running (30min)
Fri - 30dayshred, abs/obliques ST
Sat - Rest
Sun- 30dayshred, running (30mim)

I am on a calorie intake of 1200 at the moment.

Will I reach my goal in about 3 months?

Replies

• Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    wow seems like a lot to me...but that should get you in shape quickly
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    net 1200?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You are going to hit a wall if you keep this up.

Less emphasis on 30 day shred, more emphasis on heavy strength training. Forget the scale and worry about the appearance in the mirror. And 2 rest days.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    For the amount of calories you are consuming, yes, you are working out too much. Find your TDEE take that minus 15-20% and NET those calories. Use food as FUEL for your workouts. READ this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=path+to+sexy+pants&page=1#posts-18362157
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Let's say you burn 150-170kcal during those "30 day shred" 20 min videos and then maybe another 50-100 doing strength training. Running for 30 mins will burn a bit more (maybe another 300 or so - more if you are running over 6mph). I would estimate that in a week you burn 1700-2000kcal a week doing exercise (and while this number is conservative, it will go down as you get fitter/more efficient and your HR does not stay as high between exercises in your circuit).

So ... is this too much? Hell no! I am in full training for a sport right now and it is not uncommon for me to burn 1500-2000kcal a day between 2 sessions of training. The big difference is that I eat between 3000 and 4000 a day to make up for what I burn. If your goal is weight loss you may want to try entering your exercise into a TDEE calculator and working out a more realistic caloric goal. Here is one of my favourites - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ - just remember to be honest about the intensity and duration of your exercise. My guess is that you should not be consuming less than 1500kcal per day net.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    when I was going to the gym 6 days a week, the head trainer pulled me a side and told me i am coming too much that I need to give my body a rest. He told me to come every other day. he also told me i would burn out & throw in the towel. I was mad at first, but as I went home that day I knew he was right because I was starting to get burned out. the every other day was actually a real big booster for me.
    take care
    Judy
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For the amount of calories you are consuming, yes, you are working out too much. Find your TDEE take that minus 15-20% and NET those calories. Use food as FUEL for your workouts. READ this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=path+to+sexy+pants&page=1#posts-18362157

I agree with the above.

When I started exercising, there was no way I could only eat 1200. I struggle to only eat 1680 on a rest day! You definitely need to eat more if you plan to undertake an intense workout program. Furthermore, don't push yourself to injury. I like working out 5/6 days a week, but if my body aches, I will listen to it.