SL 5X5 Mini Success

Options
madhatter2013
madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
If anyone ever tells you that doing squats with the Smith or Jones Smith machines are the same as doing them in a power cage with a free bar is WRONG!!! I learned this lesson today. I started SL 5X5 4 weeks ago and I had been doing my squats with the Smith machine. I was so proud of myself for being able to get up to 60 lb squats. Then I did a little more reading and wasn't so proud of myself.

I started using the smith machine due my balance problems. I have always been extremely uncordinated, falling over things (and myself) SOBER. Most people think I'm drunk all... the... time. Also, being a first time lifter, I was intimidated by the free weights. I've always been weak and didn't want to chance getting pinned under a barbell with noe one to help me out.

I found that the Smith machine was hurting my lower back and it helped my knee a bit but not much. I decided last night that this morning I would take the chance and get out from under the Smith machine, put my big girl britches on and use the power cage for all my lifts today.

This was the best thing I ever did (other than marry my best friend). I started my squats and OH press over at the bar weight and came into lifting with a whole new frame of mind. I was surprised to see I could actually squat with the bar without falling all over myself and getting trapped. I did have a hard time balancing the bar but that's ok, I'll get better with time. I discovered new muscles I never knew I had...AGAIN. I am feeling so much better about my lifts now and I know I don't need the machine to the work for me anymore. :happy:

win-or-learn-never-lose.jpg

Replies

• wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! GJ! Keep it up! =D
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think you'll find doing squats, etc. without the assistance of the Smith machine will actually help with your balance issues, by strengthening your core and all those stabilizer muscles.

Great job! Keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Niceeee!
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yay, well done! Keep up :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!