healthy cinco de mayo recipes

Options
pmd14
pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
Help I am going to a cinco de mayo party this weekend. It is a pot luck party and I can see everyone bringing plates of fried and fatty foods. I want to bring a healthy dish to try to attempt to stay within my calories. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for your help.

Replies

• pmd14
    Options
    Help I am going to a cinco de mayo party this weekend. It is a pot luck party and I can see everyone bringing plates of fried and fatty foods. I want to bring a healthy dish to try to attempt to stay within my calories. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for your help.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajitas...guacamole...refried beans with a tiny bit of canola oil instead of lard...whole wheat tortillas!

Enjoy!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I forgot the cheese...non or lowfat!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Fresh salsa, and more fresh salsa. Little guac, little cheese, shredded chicken breast and whole wheat totilla.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Mexican layer dip.. bottom layer: FF refried beans, sprinkle w/ pico de gaio, black olives, next a layer of guacamole, then FF sour cream, then FF Cheddar cheese, top with sliced nacho peppers. :drinker:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Mexican Rice
    1 Cup Uncooked Long Grain Rice
    1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
    2 Cloves Garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 Cup Picante Sauce (mild, medium or hot)
    2 Cups Fat Free Chicken Broth
    1 (14 oz.) Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, drained
    Fat Free Sour Cream (optional)

In a medium saucepan, sauté the rice, garlic and onions until the onions are tender and the rice is golden brown. Add the chicken broth, picante sauce and salt. Stir. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with a tablespoon of fat free sour cream for additional points.

Serves: 6 (3/4 Cup Each)
    Per Serving: 131 Calories; trace Fat (1.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 644mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable.
    WWP: 2

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/SideDishes2/MexicanRice.html
    Mexican Potato Casserole

1/2 lb. Extra Lean Ground Beef
    1 Green and 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 Cup Green Onions, Sliced (about 5 onions)
    1 (10 oz.) Can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
    1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
    1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
    1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    20 oz. Potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced (leave peel on)
    3/4 Cup Fat Free Cheddar Cheese, shredded
    1 Can of Chopped Green Chilies

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In large nonstick skillet, brown ground beef, bell peppers and green onions; cook, stirring as needed, until the beef is brown and the vegetables are softened, 6-8 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chilies, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper; cook, stirring as needed, until the flavors are blended; about 5 minutes. Arrange 1/2 of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish; spread half of the meat mixture on top; cover with the remaining potato slices and then the remaining meat mixture on top. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes or until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Uncover and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts. This is a spicy dish!!!

Serves: 4
    Per Serving: 339 Calories; 10g Fat (27.0% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 614mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. WWP: 7

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/MainDishes1/MexicanPotatoCasserole.html
    These are just a few.
    Here are more:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Here are a bunch of "recipe makeovers" from Eatting well, they have a section for cinco de mayo recipes. Hope these help

http://eatingwell.com/recipes/recipe_makeovers/cinco_de_mayo_recipes.html
  • pmd14
    Options
    thank you all so much