Sodium

Options
Hello!

I never really payed much attention to Sodium until joining MFP. I am almost always over 2500 a day though. What are the repercussions on this? or what benefits I would get to cutting down?

Thanks!

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes your body retain water, which in turn increases your blood pressure. The american diet is waayyy too high in sodium even at the 2500 RDA. Many other countries suggest 1800 or less. The first thing you will notice when you decrease your sodium intake will be less bloating or swelling. You will drop 2-5 pounds of water weight you are carrying around. As you lose the water weight your blood pressure will drop a bit. The best thing to do is to increase your water intake to flush out the sodium in your tissues (above the 8 reccomended). Stay away from the salt shaker, processed foods, packaged foods and anything made in a restaurant or fast food place.

Good Luck!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes your body retain water, which in turn increases your blood pressure. The american diet is waayyy too high in sodium even at the 2500 RDA. Many other countries suggest 1800 or less. The first thing you will notice when you decrease your sodium intake will be less bloating or swelling. You will drop 2-5 pounds of water weight you are carrying around. As you lose the water weight your blood pressure will drop a bit. The best thing to do is to increase your water intake to flush out the sodium in your tissues (above the 8 reccomended). Stay away from the salt shaker, processed foods, packaged foods and anything made in a restaurant or fast food place.

Good Luck!

I drink about 100 ounces of water a day...I forgot to mention that part! But I also allow myself a diet coke a day so that I don't loose it :-) and I don't log that as part of my daily intake, so I am actually taking in more than what is on my log :(
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The more sodium you consume, the more it can effect your blood pressure and water retention. Simple as that. We have to have it, but then it in almost everything we eat these days. So we get way too much.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Eating more than that may increase your chances of heart disease or stroke. My family has a history of this so I have completely cut mine down and now never reach the daily limit.
    Try to work toward this, very important for your longevity!
  • tater8589
    Options
    I'm almost always under my sodium (so i took it off my counts) but I'm constantly told by other members that I'm consuming to much. Is MFP not correct on the amount allowed.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my sodium and I never add salt when I cook. It must be that processed food.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sodium will affect my weight like crazy!! I try to stay below 2000...if I go over 2500 I'm seeing the affects on the scale for days...Even if I drink lots of water.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for LOW sodium choices?
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The AHA recommends 1500 mg. for everyone. That is what my goal is. Cooking fresh food for yourself greatly cuts down on sodium. High sodium consumption can lead to painful kidney stones like I have, and hypertension or high blood pressure which is hard on your organs. My nutritionist recommended I try to not eat foods that contain over 150 mg. per serving. It is very hard if eating processed food. I choose low sodium when it is available, and infrequently eat at restaurants that have few lower sodium options. You can check out the American Heart Association's website for more info on options.
  • itzamos
    Options
    Avoid cottage cheese - it's CRAZY. I thought I was eating a healthy high-protein low-calorie food. Nope!