Why am I not losing weight?!

Options
Ok, I know this is a slow process. I know I have to be patient... But I have literally lost nothing. Not even an ounce. I fluctuate back and forth about 1 pound... I've only been at this for about 3 weeks, with some high days (and one too high day) and some low days as well. I work out at the gym 6 days a week, lots of cardio and strength training as well. I'm also eating WAY healthier than I was and way better for me foods. I just thought I'd have lost 2-3 pounds by now at least, but NOTHING is so defeating.

Replies

• Mayaangelkiss
    Options
    You're right you do have to be patient. 3 weeks is not enough time to see a significant change. In fact, with strength training you may actually start to GAIN weight then you will see the pounds go. Don't be frustrated, the fat has to turn into muscle first before your body can begin to really burn the rest off. With me, I've always noticed a difference around the waste, then I gain muscle, then the pounds go away. What is the average amount of calories you eat a day? How much water are you drinking?
  • Magserdo
    Magserdo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so frequently. I'm sure there is more that you would like to obtain than a smaller number on a scale. For instance: a smaller pant size or to feel healthier and not be so tired all of the time. If you can afford a personal trainer, I recommend getting one. There is a chance that your form could be off.Mine definitely was! Be gentle to yourself Ash! You are powerful and capable to change your perspective on the important reasons as to why you decided to lose weight. The best question you could ask yourself is, If I was happy with the way I looked and felt and I were the same number on the scale, would it matter? No!
    Your body will always fluctuate between 1-3 pounds just based off of the contents in your organs being processed. Try doing Yoga. Its such a kind thing to do for your body.
    I hope this helps. I know it wasn't clear direction on a special secret that could get you to the weight you would like.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm also eating WAY healthier than I was and way better for me foods.
    But are you eating at a deficit? (Open your diary for personalized feedback.)

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    Thank you, both of you. It just gets so frustrating. Maya, I eat an average of 1200 calories per day with more water that humanly possible!
    And Mags, I totally wish I could afford a personal trainer. I've had up and down weight my whole life, so I know the number really doesn't matter, but it is encouraging to see it going down. I just don't want to lose my motivation!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about maintaining a calorie deficit.

To maintain a calorie deficit you have to know exactly how much you are eating.

The only way to do this is to use a food scale/measuring cups/measuring spoons to see how much you are eating.

Log everything you eat accurately and you will lose.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I would actually expect to see some change in three weeks. Understand, though, that "way better for me foods" can make or keep you overweight just like any other food if you are not forming a calorie deficit.

Recommended reading:

1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. If you aren't already using one, get and use a food scale. Weigh all solids. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

3. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

4. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

5. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I am eating at a deficit, I usually don't eat back the calories I burned off at the gym. How do I open my diary?
  • tattsb4u
    tattsb4u Posts: 30
    Options
    I agree...stop weighing yourself. Take the battery out and give it to your husband or friend or something. That's what I need to do. I am not sure how old you are but I have noticed its harder for me now that I am in my early 40's. Weight literally used to fall off me...I would loose five pounds the first week and it would just keep melting away. I have been at it for 9 days...working out, drinking more than enough water and totally watching my calories (around 1200) and I have lost 3 pounds. I got on the scale today and was pissed. So when I get home from work today the scale is going to be put away. We all really need to understand that in order for the weight to stay off....this all needs to be a lifestyle change. We need to change our habits and change our lives....so in actual reality the scale doesn't matter because if we eat healthy and exercise we will get down to where our bodies should be. Keep it up and please don't get discouraged!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I am eating at a deficit, I usually don't eat back the calories I burned off at the gym. How do I open my diary?

This is why you stalled - eat more 1200 a day without eating back your exercise calories is very low and not sustainable. Fuel your body.
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    Getting a scale for my food and weighing out every ounce is not something I can do. I had a problem with anorexia when I was a teenager, obsessing over numbers to that extend would not be healthy for me mentally. When I log, I overestimate my food and underestimate my exercise.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    I agree...stop weighing yourself. Take the battery out and give it to your husband or friend or something. That's what I need to do. I am not sure how old you are but I have noticed its harder for me now that I am in my early 40's. Weight literally used to fall off me...I would loose five pounds the first week and it would just keep melting away. I have been at it for 9 days...working out, drinking more than enough water and totally watching my calories (around 1200) and I have lost 3 pounds. I got on the scale today and was pissed. So when I get home from work today the scale is going to be put away. We all really need to understand that in order for the weight to stay off....this all needs to be a lifestyle change. We need to change our habits and change our lives....so in actual reality the scale doesn't matter because if we eat healthy and exercise we will get down to where our bodies should be. Keep it up and please don't get discouraged!

I am only 23, that's why I feel as though I really should have seen at least a small change by now!
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    My diary is open now.

Also, (and I do NOT want to be beat up for this, kind words only please) I haven't been able to kick the habit of smoking completely yet. I have cut back from a pack a day to about a pack every 3-4 days. Could this have anything to do with the difficulties I'm having losing weight?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    My diary is open now.

Also, (and I do NOT want to be beat up for this, kind words only please) I haven't been able to kick the habit of smoking completely yet. I have cut back from a pack a day to about a pack every 3-4 days. Could this have anything to do with the difficulties I'm having losing weight?

The only way this would hinder your weight loss is if you are replacing those missing cigarettes with eating.
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    My diary is open now.

The only way this would hinder your weight loss is if you are replacing those missing cigarettes with eating.

The only thing I'm using to replace the missing cigarettes is water! :) Already feeling better since I have cut back.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    OP you do realize that your daily goal is already set at a deficit? By not meeting your calorie goals and not eating back any of your exercise calories you are creating a bigger deficit? Over estimating your foods and under estimating your exercise will again create an even bigger deficit? You have stated that you had an ED in your teens. The only thing I can say here is that you are not eating enough and you need to address that issue. How did you address your ED in your teens? Perhaps you need to revisit that and get back on track. I am not trying to be judgemental and I can honestly say that I can't relate to your issues with food but I think you need to seek some help to get this in check.
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    OP you do realize that your daily goal is already set at a deficit? By not meeting your calorie goals and not eating back any of your exercise calories you are creating a bigger deficit? Over estimating your foods and under estimating your exercise will again create an even bigger deficit? You have stated that you had an ED in your teens. The only thing I can say here is that you are not eating enough and you need to address that issue. How did you address your ED in your teens? Perhaps you need to revisit that and get back on track. I am not trying to be judgemental and I can honestly say that I can't relate to your issues with food but I think you need to seek some help to get this in check.

Maybe I don't understand fully how MFP works. So the 1200 calorie goal is already a deficit? Should I be eating back all of the calories I burn at the gym?

I never sought out help when I had an ED as a teen, I realized what I was doing was unhealthy and would cause serious health problems if I continued, so I was able to stop. However, by doing so, I obviously gained back weight. And since then it's been a serious challenge for me to keep the weight off.
  • AshleyMarie_Kj
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure how the macronutrients "work." MFP automatically set my goals at 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. That I have a hard time following. It seems I eat way too many carbs. For the most part I've cut back a lot on the "bad" carbs (such as pasta and breads).
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    First, lose the scale. Make a date with it MAYBE once a week, if that. Stop focusing on the number and instead focus on how you feel. Second, take measurements. Look at how your clothes are fitting. You will hit a point where it is harder to lose the numbers, but find that you're still losing inches. Remember that just because the scale isn't moving, it doesn't mean that your body isn't changing. Muscle has more mass. And lastly, if you feel the necessity, change your routine. Don't let it get monotonous. Tweak your diet...Little changes can go a big way when you're stuck on a plateau.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Your MFP goal has your deficit built in. And you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. Your goal should always be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight—never the minimum. Food is fuel.

Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants