The Gym: Is it an escape or a job?

Options

Replies

• chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    At first, it wasn't really a chore or job to do, because it was something new. I got pretty used to hiking last year and really liked it. When it got cold, I tried to workout at home (indoors) with some weights, but really couldn't get into it, so I finally decided to go to gym. I based my workout a simple 3day split workout and added some to it.

It felt exhausting the first couple weeks. I was sore, I didn't really look forward to those days, but I didn't let myself not go. Then I noticed I felt really good towards the end of my workouts, I was able to do more sets, reps, and/or weight, and I enjoyed the feeling.

I haven't been going for very long, but now I look forward to those days. I've met some of the others and talk to them about their workouts. I suppose, now, I see it as an escape.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    yes
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Both. I take it seriously, but I wouldn't be doing it if I hated it.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Both. I take it seriously, but I wouldn't be doing it if I hated it.

^This
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Like extracurriculars back in HS... a fun obligation that makes me feel amazeballs the next day:happy: I always imagine I'm just a tiny bit smaller after every workout.

Edited to add: In the beginning (6-7 months ago), I did NOT feel this way. At all. I really disliked it- I was out of shape, out of breath, asthma wasn't so great, my back was kind of sore, I HATED sweating- in public, especially bc my face gets really red quickly, etc. Seriously- I almost cried TWICE at 2 different gyms just bc I hated it soooo much it felt like torture.

Then the scale started moving (after 2 weeks of adjusting my diet/logging/weighing food and eating the proper # of calories). And now I can't see EVER going back!!!
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It gets me away from my children. I love them to death but I think we all know they can be...oh what's the word I'm looking for...trying sometimes.

I couldn't agree more :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It can be a stress relief sometimes, mostly it's just something I really enjoy! :D

I don't see it as a job/chore that just needs to get done. There's way more to it than that for me.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    therapy, so an escape
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym it was definately a job, now it's a love and a great way to destress.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Neither. It is my church.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Been in a weight room for almost 20 yrs now.
    I love it.
  • hedpe70
    hedpe70 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's definitely an escape. As soon as my headphones go on, I'm in my own world and extremely focused and I can feel the stress of the day melt, among other things. Getting there, however, can be hard on long days. To put an arbitrary number on it, 90% of the challenge is just getting in the car and going. But as I see more and more results, the day can't go by fast enough for me to get to the gym.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    the gym... is my second home. its my job as i am a personal trainer... it is my sanctuary as i lift when im needing it the most... it is fun... yep i guess im wierd like that.
  • alaskamatteson
    alaskamatteson Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think of it as an escape. I love being able to zone out to my music and not have to think abut anything else. It's also very energizing to me in the mornings.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's a job until I walk in the door (or walk out my door if I'm running), but once I start it's an escape.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It started off feeling like an escape. These days, it's a chore. But my first child is about to be born. I'm sure it will start feeling like an escape again.

This. Minus the impending baby. It depends on what else is going on in my life as to whether or not I "have time" or have to "make time" giving up time spent elsewhere.

And Congrats!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Totally therapy for me.....I have a long, stressful commute to and from work each day.....I look forward to getting home, selecting whatever music suits my mood ( anger= Linkin Park, mellow = Jimi Hendrix or Crowded House, happy = Green Day, Nirvana, sad = Radio head) you get the idea.....!

It's MY time to do what I want and to de-stress....

It's a productive way of spending my time...

And it's a LOT cheaper than seeing a shrink on a daily basis!
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Usually the first three weeks of going to the gym/starting a new fitness program is a job. Then there's that magical tipping point where I find myself WANTING to go, and craving the delicious exhaustion that sets in about 30 minutes after a great work out. Just have to push through those first three weeks of wanting to be a slug on the couch. :P
  • blizzardsmom
    blizzardsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Its both. I love working out, and it is a great way to escape and put life in order. Can't live without the gym :-D
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Both, depends on how my day is going.