Just Quit Smoking -Advice

Options
Hello! Long time lurker/user, first time posting.

I am looking for advice because I have JUST (this week) quit smoking. I am not even close to referring to myself as an ex-smoker yet but I am hopeful and feeling good about it.

I did want to see if anyone had any advice for me. I was logging before anyway, but I'm making sure to be extra precise as I don't want to replace cigarettes with snacks. I'm also concerned about how my metabolism may change.

Even when I smoke I still exercise on a regular basis (running combined with home work outs like calisthenics and lifting) so I'm hoping this change will only improve my stamina and overall fitness but I've heard quitting can have adverse effects initially.

Does anyone have any experience in this area that they can impart? I would be very grateful. :smile:

Replies

• kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations... I've found that exercise got easier quite quickly, yes quitting can affect your metabolism but I quit several times before I quit for good (!) and sometimes I put on a little weight sometimes I actually lost it, so I wouldn't overanalyse it too much. It will even out relatively quickly and you will feel so much better in the long run. Most recently I started drinking lots of different kinds of tea to help with the habit/urge to do something so I didn't start eating instead of smoking :-)
    p.s. I don't know if this is relevant but I found staying away from alcohol for a bit made my life easier at first too. And nicotine gum for those times I nearly caved.
    Good luck, it gets easier!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    E-cig really helped me beat cravings and also satisfied my need for the hand/mouth habit.... Pretty soon, I didn't even use that!
  • Just_Bella
    Options
    I'm 16 days in using and e-cigarette. i feel great and I have no desire to smoke an actual cigarette
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    8 days in with an e cig....it gets much easier after the first few days. I don't even want a cigarette now. Good luck and stick with it, it's worth it. Make yourself a little savings account and plop that money you would have spent on cigarettes in there and then do something nice for yourself :bigsmile:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I am looking for advice because I have JUST (this week) quit smoking. I am not even close to referring to myself as an ex-smoker yet but I am hopeful and feeling good about it.

I did want to see if anyone had any advice for me. I was logging before anyway, but I'm making sure to be extra precise as I don't want to replace cigarettes with snacks. I'm also concerned about how my metabolism may change.

Even when I smoke I still exercise on a regular basis (running combined with home work outs like calisthenics and lifting) so I'm hoping this change will only improve my stamina and overall fitness but I've heard quitting can have adverse effects initially.

Does anyone have any experience in this area that they can impart? I would be very grateful. :smile:
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

I smoked about 16 years. I have not smoked in 13 years. There were no adverse side affects of quitting. No one has ever died as a direct result of NOT smoking. However, I am sure someone will want to argue that fact. here are my suggestions.

1. Avoid other smokers as much as possible.
    2. Avoid alcohol.
    3. Avoid carbs for a few weeks.
    4. Avoid fatty foods for a few weeks.
    5. Increase your exercise for a few weeks.
    6. Expect the urge to smoke to creep up periodically and unexpectedly for years.
    7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche. History will prove me right.

Edit to add congratulations.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I smoked about 16 years. I have not smoked in 13 years. There were no adverse side affects of quitting. No one has ever died as a direct result of NOT smoking. However, I am sure someone will want to argue that fact. here are my suggestions.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

2. Avoid alcohol.
    6. Expect the urge to smoke to creep up periodically and unexpectedly for years.
    7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche.

While I agree for the most part the douche comment was a little unnecessary. If it wasn't for the e cig I'd probably still be smoking and if I look like a douche, so be it.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting! I quit just over 20 years ago. It was the most difficult, and the most rewarding thing I have ever done. My advice is to replace cigs with water. Have a water bottle with you at all times, and suck on it whenever you feel a craving. Some words of wisdom that helped me at the time: Cigarette cravings will go away within 3 minutes - whether you smoke or not! Keep that in mind and know that you are already getting healthier.

Also, I'd advise you to never cheat! Don't fool yourself that you can take just one drag, or smoke "just one" and be alright. I recently took a "drag" on an e-cig just to see what they were like, and it was awful! Other than that, I have never, ever smoked since the day I quit.

I actually told myself that whatever it was that allowed me to smoke cigarettes had been surgically removed, making it imposssible for me to smoke ever again. Maybe somehting like that will help you.

I also ate a lot of popcorn that first week! Please don't worry about gaining weight. It will most likely happen, as smoking affects your metabolism. Take care of one thing at a time. Once you are firmly settled in your nonsmoking life, you can start to work on any weight you might gain. Even a few extra pounds is healthier than smoking.

Phew! That's a lot. Once again, I'm proud of you for taking this step. You should also be very proud of yourself. And, yes, you can definitely call yourself a nonsmoker. In fact, tell as many people as you can that you have quit. This will help you be accountable, and will increase your chances of success.

Sherry
  • MissShivvers
    MissShivvers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am on the nicotine spray at the moment. I find it quite good. It's a combination of effective and instant NRT and aversion therapy because it tastes DISGUSTING! I call it mouth napalm.

I was considering the e-cigs but they're unregulated here, so I don't quite trust them but I have several friends who have used them to quit successfully.
    2. Avoid alcohol.
    7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche.

I think some of these might be easier said than done. My best friends are smokers and I spend a lot of time with them. Also, the alcohol may be an issue for a few reasons:
    1. It's birthday season (me, my friend, everyone else apparently)
    2. I just loves me some cocktails.
    But I am going to be extra vigilant when I drink. I wonder how nicotine pepper spray tastes with whiskey?? :drinker:
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    7. Don't try e-cigarettes. You'll just look like a douche. History will prove me right.

[/quote]

Not sure about the looking like a douche part, but I agree. e-cigs are supplying nicotine just like the tabacco kind. Nicotine is what you are addicted to. Stop using nicotine. As data is collected regarding e-cigs, I believe we will see more and more young people getting cancer from using them. No smokes are safe. I don't care what the marketing says.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I quit last October using an e-cig. It's awesome, I didn't even want to smoke! It's the only think that ever worked for me.

I think people who make comments like this look douchey.
  • MissShivvers
    Options
    I quit last October using an e-cig. It's awesome, I didn't even want to smoke! It's the only think that ever worked for me.

Just out of curiosity, are you still using the e-cig or have you gone off that as well? My friends have used them differently, some weaning themselves off the e-cig and some just doing a straight swap to full on Vaping enthusiasts.
  • Just_Bella
    Options
    My e-cig does not contain any nicotine. You can get them without it.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    1. Consider nicotine patches. They will help blunt the cravings. It's still hard, but patches help. Can't speak for e-cigs, but if they help, I'd rather look like a douche for 2 weeks than continue smoking.

2. Don't try to make other big changes in your lifestyle. Focus on the goal of quitting smoking. Otherwise it's easy to get overwhelmed with the feeling "I can't do it."
  • MissShivvers
    Options

That's really cool. It didn't even enter my head to use the non-nicotine fluid.
  • Just_Bella
    Options

That's really cool. It didn't even enter my head to use the non-nicotine fluid.

They come in all kinds of yummy flavours as well. Right now i'm enjoying chocolate and coffee, but my favourite is green apple yum!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You should think of yourself as an ex-smoker - you are an ex smoker. You will only ever be a smoker again, if you light one up. I went cold turkey 3 months ago - it was so much easier than I imagined. Everyone tells you its hard, but if you have your head in the right place, its not hard at all. I've tried before with nicotine patches, but to be honest anything that gives you a hit of nicotine is just prolonging the cravings & messing with your head. You don't give recovering alcoholics a nip of whiskey to ween them off drink - so why give someone who is trying to quit smoking a hit of nicotine. As another poster said - you are not going to die because you stop getting nicotine.

I wouldn't worry too much about your weight just now. Like you said, just try to keep tracking, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. Just try to get on with life as normal and when you are around your friends who are smoking, just remember that they are most likely jealous of the fact that you are not smoking. Most smokers don't really want to smoke (although we don't like to admit this) we smoke because we are addicted to nicotine - that's why we might say we 'enjoy' smoking. Its 'enjoyable' because you are feeding the addiction.

My husband husband quit the same time as me & now 2 of his friends are giving it a go. Like I said, they didn't really want to be smokers. They probably thought if he can do it, so can we!!

The way I see it. If I could quit smoking - which is supposedly very hard. Then I'm pretty sure I can now get motivated & succeed in shedding some pounds. Also, exercise will be much more enjoyable because my lungs actually work again;-) You should feel proud that you ditched them & take each day as it comes.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Not sure about the looking like a douche part, but I agree. e-cigs are supplying nicotine just like the tabacco kind. Nicotine is what you are addicted to. Stop using nicotine. As data is collected regarding e-cigs, I believe we will see more and more young people getting cancer from using them. No smokes are safe. I don't care what the marketing says.

Maybe instead of marketing, you should look at actual research done on them.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/08958378.2013.793439

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/10/10/5146

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2458-14-18.pdf

http://www.ecigarette-research.com/EUROECHO2013-ecigs.pdf

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/12/10/ntr.ntt203.short?rss=1

www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/10/10/5146/pdf

publichealth.drexel.edu/~/media/Files/publichealth/ms08.ashx

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/ECigsExhaledSmoke.htm

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/91/1/52.abstract
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Just out of curiosity, are you still using the e-cig or have you gone off that as well? My friends have used them differently, some weaning themselves off the e-cig and some just doing a straight swap to full on Vaping enthusiasts.

I still use it. I love it! I started at 24mg of nicotine and am now using 6mg. I'll probably drop it to 0mg soon.
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I quit smoking 10 days ago today (woohoo). I am using Champix (Chantix in the US). And I know it isn't for everyone but it was my only option since I can't chew the gum (sorbitol intolerance) or use the patch (adhesive allergy).

I have found being on here consistently helps me take my mind off of smoking (Excluding this topic, haha) and keeps me from snacking. In general though, keep your hands busy.

If you choose to use an e-cigarette I have one warning, do not use outdoors if the temp is at or below 0 degree Celsius or 32 degree Fahrenheit. You can get pneumonia really easily since you are inhaling water vapor. I know that became a issue that was released on the news.

Regardless of how you quit and how you don't light up. Remember it gets easier! Just never give in.

FYI, I quit three years ago for a year and a half before I decided it would be ok if I just had one...... And now I am going through the process again.

Congrats.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 40 years, quit cold turkey July 27th last year (So I guess yesterday was 8 months)
    I bought (and barely used) a non nicotine disposable ecig (Blu) it gave my hands something to do when i got really antsy in the first few days then i tossed it after not using it for a week
    First 2 weeks were tough, drank a ton of water went for walks etc. In the first month maybe 6 weeks i rarely drank and only then at home a cocktail with my wife. Alcohol and Cigarettes are closely tied with me and I needed to break the tie. By late fall I was able to go out drinking without caving. I ended up quitting drinking in December though as part of my weight loss plan
    First 72 hours are true withdrawal from the addiction
    the next couple of weeks it is all mental your brain saying hey why don't you do this anymore - just as hard as the physical addiction if you ask me

Every time you get an urge find something else to distract you for 5 minutes
    the space between urges will get longer and the length of the urge will decline

I rarely get an urge now and they are fleeting

Good Luck with the quitting, it's the toughest thing I've done (and I have quit other more notable addictions)