Do you eat before working out ?

Options
13»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I used to but not so much anymore.. I don't feel that fatigued feeling I thought I used to feel if I didn't eat before my workout
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You have to find an approach that works for you and that may involve experimentation.

Personally for me, I train fasted (with the exception of BCAA's before) meaning my last meal was more than 10 hours prior. Works for me and I'm no slouch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I always eat about 1-1.5 hours before I workout and again immediately afterwards.
  • jcranston13
    Options
    I will repeat what many here have said, you have to experiment to find what gives you the best performance. I found for me personally, I used to go in completely fasted (15 hrs) and have no energy issues. Over time though I noticed my performance decreasing. I experimented again to see what might help and found that for me 25 grams of simple carbs ~15 minutes before my training session works wonders at this time in my routine.

You have to be willing to experiment and only change one variable at a time. I tried 12.5 grams for a week or two then bumped it to 25 grams. I found that caffeine on legs days kills my workout as well. Be willing to change and adapt when performance drops over time.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I try not to workout on a full stomach, so I space my workouts and meals/snacks depending on what I eat.
    I feel bad when I workout on an full stomach, especially when doing intensive exercises (nice way to say I feel like pucking).
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's usually a good idea to eat after a workout because then you're fueling yourself from all the hard work you just accomplished. I myself tend to just eat whenever i feel like it or whenever it's most convenient. Since i work out so close to bed time i either come home from work and jump straight to working out or i'll cook, eat and then workout and pass out after it. depends on how tired i am or how i feel or whatnot. A good meal tends to make me sleepy so doing it before is not ideal for me since it would make me not want to do it anymore hhaha
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'll eat something light, like a clif bar or something about an hour before. If I eat more/too close to workout time I get gnarly heartburn.