getting enough sleep

Options
I've heard in the past that not getting a good nights rest can affect your weight loss, is this true??

I know this is a page for opinions not always solid info, but i just would like to know if this is something anyone has ever been told by a fitness instructer etc...

I've been really struggling to lose anything the last couple of weeks, this week i made my diary completely public and starting monitering my sodium as well as everything else.

The one thing i definately lack is sleep!!! recently i've been finding that i wake at about 2am and find myself wide awake for about an hr, I don't normally get to bed much before midnight and try to get up around 7, I have 3 children so i'm on the go from the start. I usually find myself feeling really tired at their home time which is also my hometime - i work in the playgroup that my youngest goes to. By 'bedtime' i'm shattered but completely unable to sleep until, as i said midnight.

Basically any advice to solve the above would also be gratefully received

xjox

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    it is true, lack of the proper amount of good sleep, can actually cause weight gain.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this too...we usually go to bed around 11 and I wake up at least 2 or 3 times a night and get up at 6 am with the kids.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    What type of exercise are you getting? You might not to ramp up your exercise a little. I looked at your food diary and that looks good to me. I am, by no means, a professional though. I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to further assist you.
  • Luckymam
    Options
    I've definitely read that lack of sleep affects the production of a certain hormone (possibly leptin?) which can affect weight. I think the article was more pointing to this hormone affecting appetite, which can cause you to eat more, thus making you gain, rather than the hormone itself making you gain weight.

My baby's not sleeping well at the moment and I can definitely say that I'm craving more calories at the mo! x
  • jenjust6
    Options
    I got almost no sleep in college (not always partying, mostly stress) and that's when I had my most significant weight gain. I still didn't sleep well in my early career, and basically stayed the same weight. In the past few years, I've had a steady (and less stressful) job, got married (less personal strife), and have had little stress other than financial. I have been sleeping the best I ever have since I was a child, and I've lost about 50 lbs from my highest point without any consistent diet or exercise plan. I attribute that to lack of stress and better sleep, which in my life, go hand in hand.

It's only anecdotal, and I don't know how to tell you to correct your sleep problem, but there is my experience. Good luck and God bless!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When you don't get enough sleep your body will want energy from anywhere to compensate, so you are usually more hungry. I really feel this on days that I know I haven't gotten in my sleep so try to have a few more veggy snacks.
  • ANNIET2006
    Options
    It can cause weight gain, fluid build up from your body being stressed, and anxiety
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i have to be honest i'm not really craving more food at the mo and i'm struggling to find time to exercise, i changed my profile to lightly active to reflect this the best i can.

Its just nice to have an answer, 'cause i couldn't see any substantial reason why i wasn't losing anything at all and even gaining!! Any advice out there on how to get more sleep would be great, as by the looks of it a few of us could do with it!! lol x