Want to start heavy lifting - advice?

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
After thinking about it for a long while, I've decided I want to add heavy lifting for weight loss (and the obvious strength) to my current workout routine. I've been focussing almost exclusively on running/walking, and although I definitely feel better, I think I could use a boost. Coming from a family of stocky (boo!) but hella strong (yay!) women, I've always been able to gain muscle quickly and lift heavier weights than people expected. (I once worked with a personal trainer who kept discouraging me from upping weights once I was using weights that weren't "girly". Not terribly surprisingly, my progress stagnated at that point.) So, I'm hoping heavy lifting will be good to me. BUT.... I'm a little scared and hoping for some advice.
1) I've seen a variety of the number of reps and sets you should do ranging from 1-5 set and 2-7reps. What do you do and why?
2) What are some things I can do at home with dumbbells up to 20lbs and bodyweight? (I've got bicep curls, tricep lifts, planks, pushups, and weighted lunges down, but I know there must be more.
3) The dreaded bar - I've never used it before, and yeah, it kinda scares me. Are there any good absolute beginners guides? Any etiquette I should know of? If your gym only has one, do you wait in line? That seems like it would irritating to the person using it.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

start there- should answer most of your questions!

now- go forth- and be fabulous!
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

start there- should answer most of your questions!

now- go forth- and be fabulous!

this^^^^^ spot on as usual from this poster...
  • beabria
    Options
    Great, thanks for the advice! I've ordered the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
    Another related question - has anyone tried the Nerd Fitness Rebel Academy? It's not just heavy lifting, but seems to include that, and I really like their sample bodyweight-based workouts. Plus - the nerdiness of it appeals to me - kinda makes me feel like I'm in a real-life Zelda game. :) But, I'm a little hesitant to drop $100 in one go without getting some outside opinions on whether it's worthwhile.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the advice! I've ordered the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
    Another related question - has anyone tried the Nerd Fitness Rebel Academy? It's not just heavy lifting, but seems to include that, and I really like their sample bodyweight-based workouts. Plus - the nerdiness of it appeals to me - kinda makes me feel like I'm in a real-life Zelda game. :) But, I'm a little hesitant to drop $100 in one go without getting some outside opinions on whether it's worthwhile.

Before I began lifting heavy, I went through the NerdFitness beginner body weight program. It helped me a lot with upper body strength and confidence. I've never done the NF Rebel Academy. I love Stronglifts and this year started Wendler's 5/3/1.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I recently started the beginner program from a workout routine. I like it because it's very simple and easy for me to follow. I've only been doing it for 3 weeks now but I am already seeing some definite improvement in strength and appearance. I'd just suggest starting with something that would be easy for you to follow and build from there.
  • beabria
    Options
    Cool - I am liking the beginner bodyweight NerdFitness routine. I'm thinking I might do a week or two of just that before I delve into heavy lifting. I can tell I really need some core strength in particular, so it might be good to build that before adding weights. It'll also give me some time to get more familiar with techniques and form. Plus, *cough* I feel like lugging my own body around should almost count as heavy lifting! ;)
    If I decide to sign up for the Nerd Fitness Rebel Academy, I'll let y'all know how I like it!