New and need help!

Options
Hi everyone! I am trying this again after being sidetracked with illness. I'm 44 years old, 5'4" and weigh 206!!! I need as much help as possible. Have difficulties exercising, even doing jumping jacks, due to two bad knees that need to be replaced but doc won't because I'm too young (hubby ran me over with zero turn lawnmower; broke left leg in 2 places and crushed my knee; right knee is now messed up for overcompensation).

I am listing my food diary so anyone who wants to chime in, please do so. If anyone give free meal plans as suggestions, throw them my way!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Desperate in Indiana!

Replies

• ShellyUmana
    Options
    There are other cardio things that you can do besides running and jumping. Biking and the use of an elliptical machine are the way to go when you have knee problems. It is good that you have made the decision to start. A healthy diet is about 80% of weight loss so as long as you keep with you food log and eat the right types of food. Lean protein and lots of veggies you are golden. :smile:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi

I offer support to mutually supportive friends if this is you then please feel free to add. We do have much on common apart from our age, i am a lot older than yourself, i know what its is like to care for loved one that is very ill. I too have had DVT'S

i wish you good luck with your:smile: journey
  • Dorecos
    Dorecos Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to posting but I'm trying to get more involved with the community posts. I have an Aunt around your age that's dealt with Meniere's Disease the last few years. She has to be very careful about what exercises she chooses because anything to throw her balance off. She has been successful in losing weight by walking and making changes in her diet.

Not everyone is able to complete hardcore workouts like P90x or Insanity, but you can do something. Stay motivated and try to be as active as you can (walk, housework, dance, etc) and of course watch your diet and you'll notice huge changes. Good luck!!
  • priyamvada_k
    priyamvada_k Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your injury - sounds painful.

You might want to look up exercises that don't strain the leg or knee. Swimming or gentle walks, maybe? Water aerobics I'm told don't strain the knee. Also ab work generally means lying down and doing crunches so that won't hurt knees.

Found one link: http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercises-putting-strain-knees-8105.html

Check with your local yoga center to see what they recommend - anything you can do sitting.

Can't see your food diary. I guess on that anything with lots of fresh produce and whole grains works. Unprocessed food is better.

Take care.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Welcome and ouchy!!!! that sounds painful things like yoga could help and swimming is a great exercise without putting too much pressure on knees good luck feel free to add me and cannot wait to read your success story
  • christarae1
    christarae1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im sorry to hear about that! Swimming would be a great exercise if you have access to a pool! You will do go great if you keep at the calorie limit that MFP gives you! I would love to be your friend or anyones friend as long as you are as equal supportive to me! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am trying this again after being sidetracked with illness. I'm 44 years old, 5'4" and weigh 206!!! I need as much help as possible. Have difficulties exercising, even doing jumping jacks, due to two bad knees that need to be replaced but doc won't because I'm too young (hubby ran me over with zero turn lawnmower; broke left leg in 2 places and crushed my knee; right knee is now messed up for overcompensation).

I am listing my food diary so anyone who wants to chime in, please do so. If anyone give free meal plans as suggestions, throw them my way!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Desperate in Indiana!

High impact! Ouch.........as we age (I'm over 50) many of us can't do high impact....or have to switch off between high & low impact days.

This is (mostly) low impact but easy to modify......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd9V8pJrMXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkFoeNEizs&list=PLdRthqqiF4KMZasHvKRQnEEZYsloPPIl7

Walking workouts allow you to add intensity as you get stronger......higher knees, light handweights, more arm movements.

A mini-trampoline is great for indoor jogging.