5:2 diet

Options
I'm thinking about starting the 5:2 diet and would love to have some friends who have experience with it or are doing it now to motivate me! Add me!

Replies

• melrn
    melrn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just finished my first week on 5:2 but i did 4:3. I lost 2.6 lbs. I love it. I love not having to worry about restrictions on my feast days and fast days are simple. Send me a friend request if you'd like!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    what's the 5:2 diet?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what's the 5:2 diet?

Eating "sensibly" 5 days a week, and about 500 calories the other 2 days. Sort of modified intermittent fasting.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I may try this on certain weeks when I do not feel like sticking to my 1800. I can eat my maintenance and just do 500 for two days.

I like this ideal. It wouldn't be a problem for me to do 500 for two days. I probably would do it on days I do not workout.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    It's definitely an easy way to create a calorie deficit, that's for sure. The only problem is that you're not going to find large losses as it only creates a deficit of 3,500 cals assuming your maintenance cals are 2,000 so you can only really expect to lose around 1lb of fat per week at best. If your maintenance cals are lower than 2,000 then your losses will be less and you also have to make sure you're not going over maintenance cals the other 5 days or you're going to eliminate the deficit. So it's not fail safe, but if you're going to track your calories it certainly means you only have to deal with hunger 2 days a week rather than 7! :)

On the other hand it can also be a good tool to maintain weight. The deficit created in those 2 days then means you can more or less not worry about strictly monitoring intake on the other 5 days - unless you have a tendency to go overboard and binge of course!!