What do you do on "fat days" - if you have any?

Options
I have my good days and bad days. Some days I feel pretty good about myself and how I look. Other days, like today, are what I like to call "fat days" - days when I avoid mirrors and wonder why the hell I bought this outfit in the first place when it makes my hips look huge. Days when I wonder why I'm working so hard only to see the scale sitting still for weeks on end.

Blah! I know it'll pass, but I was just wondering about what everyone else does on their fat days to make them feel better. Extra workout? Pep talk? Binge? Just deal with it?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    comfort food and TV :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Like when you are on your period and bloated? I eat whatever I want when I'm on my period.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I wear a maxi skirt to work and avoid pants at all costs.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Like when you are on your period and bloated? I eat whatever I want when I'm on my period.

My period doesn't affect me in that way. I get bloated from time to time, but it's almost never period-related. I mean ANY bad day. If that's when you're on your period, then there ya go.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I wear a maxi skirt to work and avoid pants at all costs.

Then again, that's my strategy most of the time. At least the part about pants.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Posting solely because I <3 your user icon. ^_^
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If this is a psychology question, I'll bite: even not-fat guys have days like this. There are days where I don't recognize myself in the mirror because good and days I don't because bad. The psychology of this is fascinating, deep, and remarkably strong (even when you *know* that's what's going on) and probably has almost nothing to do with how we look objectively.

If this is some kind of veiled female question, I'll just back out of this thread slowly and everyone just pretend like I was never here.

ETA: Oh, how do I get past the "bad" days? I just accept that there will be days like this, do the work I know I need to do for long-term success (be it food, exercise, or preparation), and look forward to tomorrow.
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Consider it a bulk day and eat more :-D
  • jenifermichelle
    jenifermichelle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Today is definitely one of those days for me, I feel like I am eating everything in sight and know that I will bust my calorie limit for the day. You're not alone!

This month's Fitness magazine had an article that said you shouldn't feel guilty about it; one study found that guilting yourself about it made you more distressed and more likely to continue to feel bad about your slip-up and let that feeling hold you down in the future. I personally handle it by just telling myself that I need to make tomorrow morning's workout a real 110% effort. When I wake up the following morning, I get ready and after my warm-up, push myself a bit further than usual. I don't think about how bad I was yesterday, just always focusing on my end goal (for me, its wearing a bikini on my trip in August).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    If this is a psychology question, I'll bite: even not-fat guys have days like this. There are days where I don't recognize myself in the mirror because good and days I don't because bad. The psychology of this is fascinating, deep, and remarkably strong (even when you *know* that's what's going on) and probably has almost nothing to do with how we look objectively.

If this is some kind of veiled female question, I'll just back out of this thread slowly and everyone just pretend like I was never here.

Honestly I think it's a bit of both. I get actual bloating, up to an inch difference in measurements. And that messes with me.

But I also have "psychological" fat days, which I think is what you're talking about.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    At home spa day! I fake a massage with an extra long foam roller routine, then I get on with the fun stuff. Deep conditioning hair treatment, a salt and milk bath, body scrub, face peel, face and body pumpkin mask, mani, pedi, and giving my teeth a little whitening boost. All homemade so it's cheap, and to Pandora spa music. It's also my rest day routine, but I'll do some or all of the routine if I'm feeling down. Makes you feel like a whole new person. If it's an extra special day I might have a beer or two while in the bath too.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wear clothes that hide my chub, and I bust my *kitten* in the gym that night. I also b!tch to my fiance so he can tell me I'm beautiful :ohwell:
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    At home spa day! I fake a massage with an extra long foam roller routine, then I get on with the fun stuff. Deep conditioning hair treatment, a salt and milk bath, body scrub, face peel, face and body pumpkin mask, mani, pedi, and giving my teeth a little whitening boost. All homemade so it's cheap, and to Pandora spa music. It's also my rest day routine, but I'll do some or all of the routine if I'm feeling down. Makes you feel like a whole new person. If it's an extra special day I might have a beer or two while in the bath too.
    That sounds divine, though likely impossible for me, unless I want a relaxing (ha!) bath with my 2 and 5 year old!

I love this idea of pampering yourself on days when you feel blah.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

ETA: Oh, how do I get past the "bad" days? I just accept that there will be days like this, do the work I know I need to do for long-term success (be it food, exercise, or preparation), and look forward to tomorrow.

It was neither a psychology question nor a veiled female question. It was just a plain old "what do you do when...?" question, which you answered in your ETA. :)
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm still new but I certainly had one of those days today! Instead, I went to the gym - probably didn't work out as hard as I wanted to but still got my heart rate up and 45 minutes in. Then I went grocery shopping and bought lots of healthy food for the next week. Came home, had a snack, changed into my "happy" pants (which really just mean pj's) and am now waiting until I can have my dinner - pizza and wine :)

It is one day - this too shall pass! Hope that helps a little bit? :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just imagine where I want to be and use it as motivation to get me there.

Then I go to work and tell everybody that I considered calling in "fat" so we all laugh and commiserate about feeling like that.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Buy wedding magazines, ice cream, and chocolate. I try to mix some tears into the ice cream, but only for effect.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That sounds divine, though likely impossible for me, unless I want a relaxing (ha!) bath with my 2 and 5 year old!

I love this idea of pampering yourself on days when you feel blah.

The kids steal your d#$n foam roller too.

ETA - I tried to get my 4-year old to go over my back with a massager. That lasted one day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It was neither a psychology question nor a veiled female question. It was just a plain old "what do you do when...?" question, which you answered in your ETA. :)

I would argue that it's probably more of a psychology question than you may realize.

:wink:

(And I"m glad it wasn't a female question. I got a strike once in one of those threads.)
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    well lately, every day is a "Fat day" and i wear the same black stretch pants everyday. but to keep from feeling SUPER "fat" i have to avoid ODing on salt bc it makes a huge difference in how big my face looks