Gaining weight with Insanity?

Options
I'm pretty underweight at the moment and really need to put some weight on. I've got an issue with body image though, and find it quite tough to actually put the weight on knowing it's pretty much all fat. I haven't got access to the gym to do any strength training and build up my muscle mass, but my friend recently gave me a copy of the Insanity workout - I was wondering, is it possible to GAIN weight with this program, if I eat in excess etc etc.

I'm a 5'7 female, around 104lbs.
I eat pretty clean - currently eat around 1600 calories a day, struggle to carbs after about 3 or 4. Macro-wise, I'm always around 130-160g Carb intake per day.

Any diet/training/general advice will be very much appreciated as I've hit a bit of a low.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of things are possible. But gaining weight with an intense cardio workout will make things more difficult than they need to be. Especially if eating a lot of food is difficult.

Picking up some used dumbbell/barbell sets and/or and focused bodyweight exercises would probably be more effective.
  • smophielou
    smophielou Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have p90x also - would that be better?

I tried a dumbbell only workout at home for a month, hit a plateau after weights became too light. I don't have the money to keep upping the weights and there's only so much more weight you can add to a backpack etc when squatting!
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do insanity about 6 days a week. Though it tones my muscles beautifully, I don't see much bulk. As suggested, p90x would work better for bulking.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Convict Conditioning Bodyweight program. I might not be the best advocate (yet!) but I've heard really good things about it - and the only tools you need are a pull up bar and a basketball (besides other random surfaces that you probably have in your house).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight with Insanity, just eat at a surplus. As far as actually putting on muscle mass though, it's probably the worst choice possible. Intense cardio and plymometrics and such are not going to put a whole lotta mass on you (if any).
  • smophielou
    smophielou Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Convict Conditioning Bodyweight program. I might not be the best advocate (yet!) but I've heard really good things about it - and the only tools you need are a pull up bar and a basketball (besides other random surfaces that you probably have in your house).

Any good for building muscle?
  • scuba8781
    scuba8781 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've gained almost an inch in each of my legs in about 8 weeks of doing convict conditioning. I've also lost about 1.5% BF in those 8 weeks. I'm still too fat to notice gains elsewhere, but I know it's happening underneath that layer of fat! This is all while maintaining a slight deficit using MFP. For reference, I'm a 32 year old dude currently around 225 lbs and just over 24% BF.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Doing Insanity or his new T25 is for getting lean. You'll get stronger and athletic performance increases. Bulk, nope.

I have P90X, X2, and X3. What I've learned from those is they are good for overall conditioning. If you look at their plans you can modify that more towards lean or bulk by changing the workouts. For example, if you have P90X. Change the calendar around. Get rid of the Plyo and all Cardio routines except maybe Kenpo. Since that is a mixed cardio that works all of you. The rest of the days do only the strength workouts and 1 day of Yoga. I did 1 day off after every 3 days of workout. Kenpo only once in a week. So most days are Shoulder, Arms, Back, Legs. Back and Legs is a killer day for me. Do the Ab Ripper twice a week. Add it to any strength day during each 3 day window.

I went for .5lb/wk increase. I was able to do it for about 10lbs then stalled. Have to go to heavy weights all days and 1 day cardio a week to get more. That was even a struggle. I'm stuck now and trying to do something else.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Any good for building muscle?

progressive loading is for building muscle- NOT cardio based interval/circuit workouts.

ANY program that progessively loads will get you what you want- progressive loading can be body weight- or db or barbell. there is no ONE right way- outside of these two things- you must eat- and you must progressively load.