Can I *know* my TDEE?

Options
2»

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    i feel like i'm missing something here. did not the OP arrive at his numbers via his on experiences and tracking? that's what i got from it. that he has his own data from the last 3 months of logging, not that he got the 2997 number from scooby or some such and is taking the word of an internet estimate as gospel. i'm in a deficit some maybe my carbs are too low and my brain isn't functioning properly right now

I thought the same thing. But his data is for 170 days. Should be pretty good for crunchy numbers.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ has a calibration factor equation, use your numbers for the last 30 days to see if it matches with what Scooby says your intake should be and you should be able to see what your TDEE is
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Several have said, "you can use math".

Yes, please provide the formulas.

Sorry I had more but realized I'd typed it wrong, and I had to leave a minute later.

So here's the formula I used:

70 days tracked:

TDEE= total calories consumed + (total pounds lost x 3500) then divide that by 70

or

TDEE = total calories consumed - (total pounds lost x 3500) then divide by 70

Two major assumptions though. The first is that you're tracking accurately. The second is that you're losing fat and not muscle.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    (calories burned) = (weight lost in pounds) * 3500 + (calories consumed)

TDEE = (calories burned) / (number of days over which you measured)

So this says that my TDEE = 2627.8, right?

( ( 21 * 3500) + 373230 ) / 170
    ( 73500 + 373230 ) / 170
    ( 446730 ) / 170
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OP, you got it right in your OP.

Your TDEE is the number of calories you'd need to eat in order to maintain your current weight. If you are looking to maintain now, then start eating at your calculated TDEE now. If you gain weight for several weeks then you are over, so drop it down some at that time.

Also keep in mind that when you go from deficit to maintenance your body will do things like refilling glycogen stores and you are going to gain several pounds at the start no matter how you approach it. That is not indicative of fat gain or that you are overeating or doing something wrong. (Unless it continues, at which point, again, you readjust.)

(If you are unhappy with your maint weight being 3-5 lbs more than you weigh now, then you need to go 3-5 lbs lower before going to maintenance.)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your math works out, so theoretically your TDEE is close to 3000. But I agree with the poster that suggested not jumping right up there. I think we sometimes underestimate that adaptive nature of the human body. I would try and ease into your higher calorie goal a few pounds before you hit your goal weight which will slow the weight loss down, but make the transition into maintenance less severe. See how your body responds at half the deficit for a while and make adjustments to your calculations if needed.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. just read this again:

Your TDEE is the number of calories you'd need to eat in order to maintain your current weight. If you are looking to maintain now, then start eating at your calculated TDEE now. If you gain weight for several weeks then you are over, so drop it down some at that time.

Also keep in mind that when you go from deficit to maintenance your body will do things like refilling glycogen stores and you are going to gain several pounds at the start no matter how you approach it. That is not indicative of fat gain or that you are overeating or doing something wrong. (Unless it continues, at which point, again, you readjust.)

(If you are unhappy with your maint weight being 3-5 lbs more than you weigh now, then you need to go 3-5 lbs lower before going to maintenance.)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    (calories burned) = (weight lost in pounds) * 3500 + (calories consumed)

TDEE = (calories burned) / (number of days over which you measured)

So this says that my TDEE = 2627.8, right?

( ( 21 * 3500) + 373230 ) / 170
    ( 73500 + 373230 ) / 170
    ( 446730 ) / 170

Yeah, that looks about right.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    OP's math seems ok to me.

He ate an avearge of ~2200 calories a day to get an average weight loss of 1.6 lb per week. 1.6 lb/week corresponds to about (3500 * 1.6)/7 = 800 calories per day deficit.

So if he adds what he was eating (2200) to the deficit (800) he comes in around 3,000.

The only caveat I would add is that the above assumes linear weight loss, and no change in BMR/TDEE with weight loss, which may not be true. As you have less weight to shift around (40 lb less now than when you started) your everyday energy expenditure may have gone down. So maybe look at a recent subset of numbers to hone in closer the real TDEE.

And keep tracking as you up the cals, so you know if it is working!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OP says "3 months" and then uses "170" as the number of days.

In the equation I gave, the weight loss and calories consumed must be over the same period of time. Don't use 3 months of weight loss and 5 months of calorie consumption. That doesn't work out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Since you lost weight, your TDEE may have changed, and if you had been exercising that could have too affected it somewhat (if you gained muscle), It would actually be more accurate if you only use the last week calculations since they are closer to your target weight. Now your math is great but 3 cavities:

1- Unless you keep increasing the difficulty of your exercise in a linear way, you are likely to start burning less.
    2- Every year you are getting older which means you will be burning less.
    3- Neither calories consumed nor calories burned are an exact number, they are both estimates.

Here is what I suggest to gradually find your exact TDEE:
    1- Fast or eat very low calorie for a day or 2 and weigh yourself next morning right after a number 2 bathroom visit.
    2- Now indulge and eat high calorie/volume for a day or two and weigh yourself at the end of the day right after a meal.

Those are your lowest and highest weight points and their average is likely closer to what you will be seeing most often. To maintain you should be staying within that range. A few days at one end or another is fine, but a trend towards either end means something is not working. If your weight goes over or under these values within the first week, use it as a new endpoint.

Now starts the long and painful process of troubleshooting. Eat the calories you calculated as your TDEE for a month or 2 and watch the trend closely. If you find your "average" weight gradually climbing towards the upper end of your range or exceeding it, you will need to decrease your calories, and vice versa. Once your weight settles fluctuating around the middle of the range, you will know you've hit the golden number so keep tweaking till then. If for any reason your weight starts creeping towards either of the ends in the future, you will be able to notice the trend and adjust accordingly.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, check out www.fitnessfrog.com for your TDEE, and other questions.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OP says "3 months" and then uses "170" as the number of days.

In the equation I gave, the weight loss and calories consumed must be over the same period of time. Don't use 3 months of weight loss and 5 months of calorie consumption. That doesn't work out.

Thank you. After you said this, I realized I was using my latest "diet-to-date" data, instead of the last 3 months. The weight change was for 3 months. But the food/exercise data was wrong.

Calories: 178824 / 90 = 1986 CHO/FAT/PRO: 51/28/21 Chol: 263.1mg Sodium: 3223.2mg Fiber: 32.4g
    Exercise: 88 TotCal: 41427 TotMin: 7213 Cal/day: 470 Cal/min: 5.7

Net: 1526
    TDEE: 2788 ( this is using the ((weight lost in pounds) * 3500 + (calories consumed)) / (number of days over which you measured) formula)
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options

this + 1, conservative approach and based on own experience by the sound of it.