Support/Accountability Buddy for Water Fasting

Options
Hey all,
Starting tomorrow, I'm doing a ten day water fast. I'm actually not doing it for weight loss- it can aid chronic pain (which I have a lot of), reboot/retrain digestion too, along with many other benefits, but those are the biggest reasons for me. It would be great to have a buddy to do this with, to keep each other accountable and communicate with. I've done a six day water fast before, but I want to have the benefits of a ten day water fast.

*NOTE* Just to be clear, this isn't some kind of "starve with me" type of thing. I am not trying to trigger, enable, or promote any kind of eating disorders. I discussed this with my doctor and have prepared for it. I want to do this for the healing properties that come from a water cleanse. Feel free to message me! :)

Replies

• Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do you eat anything while doing this, or just drink water?
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I read it as fasting FROM water. I'm not sure either is for me and neither sounds particularly beneficial, but I wish you luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think you'll enjoy the benefits. Fasting is great, though widely misunderstood. I was considering doing a fast for other reasons soon, but not this week.
  • waterdancer
    waterdancer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm looking for a fasting buddy too. I plan to start 4/1. I haven't done this in a very long time and know I will need support. It helps so much to do with someone. I have thought I would do a fast several times over the last several months, but something always comes up.

How is it going so far?
  • Soreadyforchange
    Options
    I'm starting a water fast today. I would love to have some mutual support.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Three first-time posters planning to drink only water for ten days? Seems legit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Three first-time posters planning to drink only water for ten days? Seems legit.

This...

Also, a water cleanse doesn't reboot or retrain anything. All you are doing is drinking water. That's it. You need food. It'd be one thing if you are doing Intermittent Fasting where you only drink water between certain hours and eat during certain hours...but it sounds like you want to do a "I'm only drinking water and not eating food"...

I'm gonna be honest with you. It's a bad idea, even for 10 days. You won't be getting the nutrients your body needs. I know you said your doctor is aware, if I told my doctor I was doing this and he didn't object and tell me it was a bad idea, personally I'd be finding a new doctor.

Here are just 4 dangers of water fasting.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/4-dangers-of-fasting-for-weight-loss.html#b

1. Fasting for Weight Loss Increases Stress

When you are fasting, your body will go into a self-preservation mode to counter starvation. It will begin to slow down your metabolism and increase the production of cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that is produced by the adrenal glands. When you are suffering from illness or stress, there will be a larger than usual amount of cortisol in your body. A high amount of cortisol can make you feel physically, mentally or emotionally stressed.

2. Fasting Damages Your Muscles

When you are not taking enough food, the cortisol in your body will try to release certain amino acids from your muscles and convert them to sugar. The sugar will then be fed to the brain, kidneys and red blood cells. The brain can use fats or sugar as fuel, but it usually prefers sugar, and red blood cells need sugar to survive. By releasing amino acids, cortisol is actually breaking down your muscle tissues. Losing muscles can slow down weight loss, because you need muscles to burn excess fat in your body.

3. Fasting Leads to Increased Hunger

If you do not consume food for a prolonged period of time, your body will produce fewer thyroid hormones. The loss of thyroid hormones and muscle tissue breakdown will slow down your body's overall metabolism significantly. This consequence becomes evident when you stop fasting and resume normal eating habits. When you begin to fast, your appetite hormones will be suppressed, but they will go into full gear when normal eating resumes, resulting in increased hunger. With slower metabolism and increased appetite, you will begin to gain weight fast.

4. Fasting Causes Health Problems

Prolonged fasting can deplete the supply of essential nutrients in your body, such as carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, fatty acids, minerals and electrolytes. This can lead to the development of various health problems, including fatigue, headache, dehydration, dizziness, constipation, hypoglycemia, anemia, muscle weakness, gallstones and mental confusion. If you are suffering from some kind of health problem, it is advisable that you do not fast, because you will become more susceptible to the detrimental effects of fasting.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    *NOTE* Just to be clear, this isn't some kind of "starve with me" type of thing. I am not trying to trigger, enable, or promote any kind of eating disorders. I discussed this with my doctor and have prepared for it. I want to do this for the healing properties that come from a water cleanse. Feel free to message me! :)

Sure you're not :huh: With a friends list full of 'pro ana' friends with names like 'Wish2disappear' and 'starvingto105', of course you're just doing this for your health :noway:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Sure you're not :huh: With a friends list full of 'pro ana' friends with names like 'Wish2disappear' and 'starvingto105', of course you're just doing this for your health :noway:

Oh how did I miss that...

OP...no. just no.

tumblr_lttcrjiCyD1qht847.gif
This discussion has been closed.