High carb people who have lost fat effectively?

Options
Hi! I've been on my weight loss journey for a looooooooong time. I'm actually pretty well versed in nutrition, but every once in a while you get that feeling of "I can know everything in the world about _____ and I still wouldn't feel confident about it", if you know what I mean. All I'm looking for is some people who eat carbs - a lot of them, even (over 200g) - and lose weight! Just need the reassurance right now.

I have tried low carb and it SERIOUSLY does not work for me. I become exhausted and irritable, I get terrible headaches, and I even start suffering from insomnia (weird, considering the exhaustion during the day). My lifts go out the window, too. So I know that, for me, the quicker fat loss of low carb/ketosis is just NOT worth the suffering I have to go through. Plus it pretty much requires eating animal products, which I won't do.

A little about me: I'm vegan (if you turn this into a debate about veganism and whether or not it's good for you, I'm going to ignore everything you say) and gluten-free, so most of my protein sources are carb-heavy. I am pretty active. Per week, I do 2-3 HIIT sessions, 3 full body strength sessions, I walk to/from work and anywhere else (within reason) that I might need to go, and I do one long-ish (between 3 and 6 kilometers) steady-state run when the weather is nice. My jobs are also very active.

I know it's really all about having a healthy deficit and that I should lose fat as long as I continue to commit to said deficit and my lifts (to maintain LBM)... but sometimes a girl needs some reassurance!

Replies

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Me! I get all cranky and tired when I don't have at least 50% carbs in my diet! I lost 40 pounds total and am now in maintenance! I still eat high carb and am still seeing body composition changes from lifting heavy! Feel free to peruse my diary!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Me me me!! I was pretty consistent with 200ish+ carbs while cutting :D No issues here for me. I'm at 300+ now (working on first bulk now).
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    (I'll also add that my logging any earlier than the past 20-ish days has been spotty for a few months as I was trying intuitive eating, which actually did work for maintenance! The reason I'm logging again is to lose the rest of my weight before I go to Europe in the summer.)
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Well go get it girl! ;)
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Sugary, what were your net calories set at during your cut??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on my weight loss journey for a looooooooong time. I'm actually pretty well versed in nutrition, but every once in a while you get that feeling of "I can know everything in the world about _____ and I still wouldn't feel confident about it", if you know what I mean. All I'm looking for is some people who eat carbs - a lot of them, even (over 200g) - and lose weight! Just need the reassurance right now.

I have tried low carb and it SERIOUSLY does not work for me. I become exhausted and irritable, I get terrible headaches, and I even start suffering from insomnia (weird, considering the exhaustion during the day). My lifts go out the window, too. So I know that, for me, the quicker fat loss of low carb/ketosis is just NOT worth the suffering I have to go through. Plus it pretty much requires eating animal products, which I won't do.

A little about me: I'm vegan (if you turn this into a debate about veganism and whether or not it's good for you, I'm going to ignore everything you say) and gluten-free, so most of my protein sources are carb-heavy. I am pretty active. Per week, I do 2-3 HIIT sessions, 3 full body strength sessions, I walk to/from work and anywhere else (within reason) that I might need to go, and I do one long-ish (between 3 and 6 kilometers) steady-state run when the weather is nice. My jobs are also very active.

I know it's really all about having a healthy deficit and that I should lose fat as long as I continue to commit to said deficit and my lifts (to maintain LBM)... but sometimes a girl needs some reassurance!

Not sure what the question is. There's nothing special about low carb. Eat an appropriate number of calories and get enough protein and fat. Done. I typically get 150 - 200 grams of carbs a day while losing. More if I've been active that day.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    From the looks of your little picture you seem to be doing just fine so keep at it. One other suggestion that might be helpful is to look into Vegan Protein powders. Look into the Garden of Life products as they're very good and vegetarian/vegan too boot. I am not either of those but sometimes struggle with veggie intake so I use some of their green stuff. But I've also tried their RAW Protein and RAW Meal products and they're just as good (in my opinion) as any other leading protein powder. By using this to supplement your typical daily meals you should be able to cut down on the overall carb intake a bit. You can find them online to research their products and can get it at the chain vitamin stores.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BTW you will want to raise your protein goal to optimize fat loss. Higher protein intake helps preserve muscle so more of the weight lost is fat.
  • ivanarflittle
    ivanarflittle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have not gone on a high carb diet before so I cannot comment from experience, however I am studying Human Nutrition (last year of my Bachelor (: ) and can reassure you that it does not matter what you eat or the ratio of macro nutrients (high fat vs. low fat, high protein vs. low protein) if you are having a calorie deficit (energy in is less than energy out) you are going to lose weight (: .
    Sometimes you hear about diets that have worked that is a high protein diet and a low carbohydrate diet (thinking of Atkins here) . In my opinion I think it works as it can be easier for people to stick to. All they have to remember to do is not to eat carbohydrates (which is actually really difficult to do!)
    So stick with what is easier for you and goodluck! (:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb. Fruits and veggies for the win! I can lose weight while not feeling deprived, and having tons of energy.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Sugary, what were your net calories set at during your cut??

I kind of switched up gradually throughout but most of my cut was around 1650 net
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I eat usually more than 200g of carbs...usually about 50% of my intake is carbs. I have lost 61lbs...though I can not say my body composition will turn out how I want it to by the time I am down to 150lbs. :) Though, yes I do still lose weight.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options

Not sure what the question is. There's nothing special about low carb. Eat an appropriate number of calories and get enough protein and fat. Done. I typically get 150 - 200 grams of carbs a day while losing. More if I've been active that day.
    I mean, there are quite a few studies that apparently show quicker fat loss while in ketosis.
    Mostly I just wanted the reassurance of knowing other people do the same as me! Knowing something is right in theory isn't the same, for me, as seeing proof. And sometimes I just need that when I start to doubt myself!
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    No need to doubt yourself! You have a great plan and as a vegan you will naturally have more carbs because you will be eating plants for protein!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    BTW you will want to raise your protein goal to optimize fat loss. Higher protein intake helps preserve muscle so more of the weight lost is fat.

^second this. General rule of thumb is around 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Me - I do 55% of my calories from carbs and depending on my activities that ends up being 200-300g a day. I'm 5'9", 135 lbs and have 21% (or so) body fat.

I lost 66 pounds with this ratio and have kept it off for two years now.

Carbs make me feel happy, content and energized. :smile:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I eat high carb. Fruits and veggies for the win! I can lose weight while not feeling deprived, and having tons of energy.

I've been curious about this for a while, but it's never been on topic. Now it is.

Do you have any body fat measurements to establish how much of your weight loss has been fat versus lean mass?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I mean, there are quite a few studies that apparently show quicker fat loss while in ketosis.
    Mostly I just wanted the reassurance of knowing other people do the same as me! Knowing something is right in theory isn't the same, for me, as seeing proof. And sometimes I just need that when I start to doubt myself!

Oh. Well.

Comparison-6-13_small.png

150-250 grams of carbs a day average.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Oh. Well.

Comparison-6-13_small.png

150-250 grams of carbs a day average.

Hot damn Jonnythan, you need to warn me when you break that out.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Hey guys! Just to respond to a couple of the points made:

-I do have a hemp protein powder, which I am planning on using once the weather warms up more. I just HATE having cold smoothies when it's rainy. Ruins my whole day.
    -I do know about the 1g protein per lb of LBM rule, but I have been... bad about it. Hahaha. But I have successfully eaten ~100g protein on my vegan diet in the past (with the help of my hemp protein powder), so I will try to get that macro more in check! I've been kicking myself as I've been hovering much lower than 100g, and considering my activity level and my goal to lose as little LBM as possible... I should be doing better in that department.