Curried Red Lentil Soup (213 cals per serving)

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
Holy moly - I just made this today and it was crazy easy and super delicious! The recipe makes 6 HUGE servings. I just had a bowl of it, and I'm totally packed! The soup is high in protein, super low fat, and can easily be made vegetarian/vegan. It's also really flavourful and awesome!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large onion
2 tbsp minced ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 jalapeno peppers
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder (or to taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
2 bay leafs
1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 - 900mL tetra-packs low sodium chicken broth (sub veg broth, water, etc) or 7-8 cups water
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice

1/3 cup plain yogurt or light sour cream

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot on medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 mins, or until soft and translucent. Add ginger, garlic, jalapeno peppers, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leafs; stir and cook for an additional 5 mins. Mix in red lentils and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 mins, or until lentil are very soft. Remove bay leads, mix in cilantro and lemon juice, and serve with yogurt or sour cream.

Calories 213
Carbs 46
Fat 0
Protein 17
Fiber 9
Sodium 684
(not including yogurt/sour cream)

Try it, and enjoy :D
Meag

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    This sounds great...one question, where is the sodium coming from - is it coming from the chicken broth? Because I use a much lower sodium chicken broth. Thanks
  • JulieC73
    Options
    I LOVE lentils. Think I'll swap up the canola oil for olive and go with a low sodium broth. yum yum! Thanks for posting this recipe. I'll be making this in the next day or two
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I think you folks are right about the sodium... I use a low-sodium broth too, but it wasn't avail in the database and I'm too lazy to add it in myself (yea, I know...) So adjust it accordingly, I guess!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Thanks so much for posting! I'm totally gonna try it. Love red lentils!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    The folks and I have determined that the recipe could use more veg! I'd probably add carrots with the onions next time. Who knows what else! Totally at your discretion :)