Needing to get serious about losing weight

Options
thegatti
thegatti Posts: 20 Member
I had refused to weigh myself for quite a while. When you are depressed, you don't want to feel worse by stepping on the scale. I decided to be brave and weigh myself today. 71.9kgs! How did i get here? Being on a budget doesn't help when you have to eat out. Stunner deals from hungry jacks are very cheap but high in kjs.
I joined the pool and gym so that will help. I really need all the support I can get. This gets stressful especially on my own. What do I eat, especially if I am in town and on a tight budget?
Thanks

Replies

• Im totally in the same boat ! After realizing I didnt fit into my biggest pair of pants I decided no more . I have a 6 month old son and I am so determined to shed all that baby weight . Since im a single mother I dont really have much time to cook healthy either so it mostly takeout but that definately needs to stop ASAP . Ive got 40 pounds to lose til I get back to my happy weight We can do it !
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kitchen? By "in town" do you mean away from home for the day? There are quite a few items you could pack and take with you. Tuna in a pouch, fruit/fruit cups (in water, not syrup), sugar free pudding, carrots, humus maybe and use those to supplement whatever item you buy out.

A small insulated lunch bag or thermos could expand your options to hot/cold items like soup or cold cut sandwiches/wraps and salads. Carry a refillable water bottle and save on buying beverages.

If you have a smart phone, use it to look up restaurant menus to find the nutritional contents. Most chains have that available. There are also plenty apps besides MFP you can use to look up foods.

Increasing your exercise will give you more calories to work with, so that will help you. As for the rest, you may need to get creative but it's not impossible to develop a plan that will fit into your budget.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eating right & exercise is an important part of self-care.

Focus on portion control and learning to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. How much you eat matters much more than what you eat. Baby steps!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Being on a budget doesn't help when you have to eat out. Thanks
    Why do you HAVE to eat out?
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Options
    I started buying clothing in larger sizes than my "fat pants" and decided enough is enough too. I had struggled with weight gain from a medication. Trying to lose about 35-40.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    For me, breakfast is the easiest meal to eat out. So, any place that sells breakfast around the clock would work. 2 pcs bacon, 1 or two eggs and a piece of toast works well calorie-wise, or a bowl of hot cereal with milk and some fruit. A nice salad with some lean meat is not too expensive most places, but you have to watch salad dressing because you can easily pour 200 or 300 on by using house dressings. Another idea is a small bowl of chili. You really can do this if you want. Good luck!
  • thegatti
    thegatti Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I do when I am in town shopping and when I have a girl's day with Mum.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I do when I am in town shopping and when I have a girl's day with Mum.

You don't HAVE to eat when you go shopping, even if it is an epically long shopping trip. Eat a good breakfast before you leave and then have dinner when you get home. If your mom wants to go eat while you are having girls day, you can always get a small salad (dressing on the side) so she doesn't feel weird eating by herself.

Breaking down your own excuses is the key to success.