Weight Range and Fluctuations

Options
How did you determine what your preferred weight range is? Is it a 3 pound range, 5 pounds? I have a lot of underlying issues, but I'm trying to understand that daily fluctuations are no reason to panic. The problem is, I don't know how much fluctuation is normal and when I should start to worry.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Mine fluctuates by about 2 lbs. I weigh myself weekly, and it's always within that range. Keep in mind that I've been in maintenance since December 2012 though. It took a few months for my weight to stabilize when I first reached maintenance (I was actually still losing below my original goal for a while). Once I got set up with my appropriate TDEE, I was fine for several months, but when my Dr. reduced my thyroid medication, I gained 2 lbs. I fought tooth & nail to get rid of them, but it was not to be. I accepted those 2 lbs and have been stable with them for several months now. Once you have been in maintenance for a good while, barring things like prescription medication changes or changes to your food/exercise habits, I think it actually becomes a challenge to move the weight either way; the body has reached its set point, and it wants to stay there.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't go by weight anymore. In the last 3months I've dropped two pant sizes yet have gained 2kilos (around 5pounds) due to weight training.
    But when I used to weigh myself I noticed that daily changes could be 1-2kilos and I could gain a whole 4kilos around my time of month!
    Best way is to weigh yourself a lot at different times of the day/month and just track it. But definitely don't get upset by a couple of pounds, it's most likely normal (:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    In maintenance, I tend to not fluctuate more than 2 Ibs in either direction, unless I do something crazy like eat a whole loaf of fruit bread, then it temporarily can fluctuate by as much as 5 Ibs.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My GW is 155. I have been between 153 & 157 since January (for me how much sodium I eat is the difference) until this week. I can live with that range forever. Last weekend I had a stomach bug and got down to 150 and haven't put it any of it back this week. I may up my calories this week to get it back up, but I haven't decided yet.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    +/- 2.5 pounds for me. If I eat a bunch of salty stuff...maybe even +3 pounds. No matter, 3 days later that water weight is gone.

I had the stomach fly last week too. Lost 3 pounds. When I felt better, I enjoyed the weight gain with some luxurious eating.

My question for you is your questioning whether to stay at 150. Do you think that you should stay there? Is that why you are asking?