Weird, but pb or pb&j chicken?

Options
Does anyone have a recipe for peanut butter chicken or something like baked chicken with some natural almond butter/peanut butter on top and baked grapes or some other fruit. I'm having insane cravings for something like this.

I would make a pb&j burger, but prefer chicken and don't really eat bread. I could make a thai type dish with chicken, pb, carrots, sprouts, and cabbage maybe.

It sounds soooo good!!!! Maybe some chicken with cinnamon and justin's maple almond butter? Or even plain peanut butter.

Sorry if this sounds gross or weird to you!

Replies

• DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to get peanut butter chicken all the time at a local Chinese restaurant, I think it's kind of like this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Chicken/
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not weird. I was thinking it sounded Asian inspired (peanut/sesame chicken) while reading. My daughter likes to put apricot jelly on her eggs. THAT to me is weird. Only thing I could suggest is trying an online search or checkout ALLRECIPES.COM they generally have some really good recipes there and check the comments before you commit. People are great about sharing their experiences/opinions and modifications to recipes.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but honestly, it sounds like you know what you want and don't need one! I don't always follow recipes when I want a particular thing, or I modify them really heavily. I would probably bake a chicken breast almost all the way, then cut it, stuff it with the nut butter, and then do something separate with the fruit and eat them together.

The Thai option doesn't incorporate the sweet so much, but it's totally viable and would probably be super easy to find a recipe for.

I totally get you, though--in high school I used to eat turkey breast and peanut butter on bagels. People thought I was a weirdo. I said I was just low on protein. Which I probably was, considering I didn't eat breakfast and my lunch was a squeeze pouch of applesauce and a Clif bar. Made for some sad stomach afternoons until I learned to chew the Clif bar thoroughly!
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    @DrWhoodles, thanks for the link! Gosh, now I'm thinking of adding in mushrooms and serving over quinoa haha. Maybe I want cauliflower quinoa baked mac and cheese instead. Such random cravings!

@nckrystalblue, thank you, and I do have sesame seeds (yay)! The apricot on eggs seems a little weird but at home my dad likes to eat white fish with apricot preserves/chutney haha. I used to eat barbecue sauce with eggs.

@LeahFerri, thank you! You're right, I think I have too many ideas though. But OMG, I used to do cheese and pb on bagels! People looked at me weird too haha. I like your idea of stuffing the chicken! Maybe stuff it, then bake it with fruit around/on top of it. I love stuffed chicken with goat/feta cheese + spinach, but not really feeling that right now.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich - great combination. Don't knock it until you try it!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    http://www.npr.org/2013/09/09/218925258/this-football-season-grab-some-pb-j-and-spread-your-wings

This is for wings but you could probably just make the sauce and pour on chicken and bake,
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all!

My wife and I love this. She's vegetarian and has it as presented. I add a chicken breast or pork loin cooked separately.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/african-pineapple-peanut-stew.html

Also - see other asian ideas like satay skewers and rijstafel. They combine a protein with peanuts and fruit.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm just jumping in to save these recipes. Pretty much all my favorite things...
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    thanks for the link! ^

:)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,712 Member
    Options
    This is a classic combination in Indonesia and Malaysia. Look for chicken satay, or sateh. The Malaysian curry rendang also sometimes contains peanut.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/cheeky-chicken-satay
    http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/r/thaichickensate.htm
  • acpgee
    Options
    If you like savoury peanut dishes, you will probably also like gado gado. It's an Indonesian salad dressed with a spicy peanut sauce.

http://rasamalaysia.com/gado-gado-recipe/2/

For a quick peanut fix, I sometimes throw some PB2 instead a stir fry to give it a Malaysian twist.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Sounds good! Bookmarked it! I use pb2 everyday, but never thought of using it in savory dishes (was planning on using the real stuff haha), genius :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    I get several hits when I google "PB2 satay sauce".
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for Groundnut Stew:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/african_chicken_peanut_stew/

I don't think it's weird - it's a yummy combo. Also try putting a tablespoon or two on your burger, top with dill pickle slices.

:)
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Never thought of these, other than satay. Bump for later.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich - great combination. Don't knock it until you try it!

Now this was a weird one that totally rocked once you got past the weird factor! My cousin also used to eat pb and potato chips crushed up in the sandwich (especially at the beach). she said that way she couldn't tell if sand got in her sandwich lol
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    these all sound really good, thanks guys! Will prob try it tommorow, then maybe one with peanuts, chili, shirtaki noodles, chicken, pb, and sesame once I'm able to find the noodles.

OMG I just realized I could mix pb2 and raisins into greek yogurt and dip celery into it for ants on a log!
  • MistressPi
    Options

Now this was a weird one that totally rocked once you got past the weird factor! My cousin also used to eat pb and potato chips crushed up in the sandwich (especially at the beach). she said that way she couldn't tell if sand got in her sandwich lol

ahahahahaha too funny!

I also like PB & pickle sandwich, + mayonnaise (keeps the sandwich from sticking to the roof of your mouth).
  • MistressPi
    Options
    these all sound really good, thanks guys! Will prob try it tommorow, then maybe one with peanuts, chili, shirtaki noodles, chicken, pb, and sesame once I'm able to find the noodles.

OMG I just realized I could mix pb2 and raisins into greek yogurt and dip celery into it for ants on a log!

Here is a recipe from Miracle Noodle. It's equally good with peanut butter.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-hot-or-cold-sesame-noodles.aspx#back

I downloaded their free e-book of recipes, BTW. There's some good ones!
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

ahahahahaha too funny!

I also like PB & pickle sandwich, + mayonnaise (keeps the sandwich from sticking to the roof of your mouth).

My mom also ate PB and Mayo - (No pickles) I liked both but the PB and pickles were the best.

Two other weird ones - no peanut butter - but try bread, butter and brown sugar or apple butter on cottage cheese.