Considering the 7lbs in 7 days juice diet

Options
I spent some time tonight reading about people's experiences with Jason Vale's 7 pounds in 7 days diet and wondered if anyone on MFP has tried it. I'm mainly concerned that the weight lost will quickly come back due to it coming off so fast. Any thoughts? Also, is anyone else interested? I'd be interested in doing it with someone else.
Thanks!

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The weight lost will be mostly water and will come back on as soon as you begin to eat food again.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It is not a healthy way to lose weight.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly concerned that the weight lost will quickly come back due to it coming off so fast. Any thoughts?

It most likely will come back as fast as it went.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It looks like your goal is to lose 12lb. What's the rush that you need to lose a supposedly 7lb in a week. As mentioned already, the majority of the weight you'd lose is water weight not fat.

You didn't put 12lb on in a couple of weeks don't be in a hurry to lose it in that time. Your own impatience and resulting disappointment will no doubt sabotage you.

Realistically look to lose an average of 1lb per week sensibly with the right food, calorie deficit and exercise.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    No.

Read this instead and spend 7 days towards new habits and a new you. Not a week wasted losing water weight and starving.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose fat or water? Sure you can strip away a few pounds of water weight but is that what you really want. You can lose a pound a week and learn healthy eating habits along the way. Take your time and do it right. You'll be glad you did.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    "Yea that seems like an excellent idea" said nobody ever...
  • pdobrien
    pdobrien Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, HappyAmazon. I don't really know about this plan, but it may be unhealthy if you're not getting all the nutrients you need. I drink about 2.5-3.5 cups of freshly extracted vegetable juice and an almond milk/hemp protein/dark berries smoothie each day in large part as supplementation. I do the veggie juice to ensure that I'm fulfilling my 5 servings per day, and the smoothie for protein, good fats, and fruit. If you eat good, natural foods, maintain a sound balance of your macronutrients, and get your exercise, you'll be fine. Take your time too!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I spent some time tonight reading about people's experiences with Jason Vale's 7 pounds in 7 days diet and wondered if anyone on MFP has tried it. I'm mainly concerned that the weight lost will quickly come back due to it coming off so fast. Any thoughts? Also, is anyone else interested? I'd be interested in doing it with someone else.

I did it, and lost 8 pounds - though I did it alongside a lot of exercise on a retreat "holiday". It took me from 172 to 164 with the lowest weight recorded on the Tuesday after finishing on the Friday. Today my weight is 164 and I did the 7 day program at the beginning of last September.

It is basically a modified fast with low protein, fairly low fat (avocado and other fat sources are used) and probably under 1000 calories. So you get mins & vits from the veg & fruit juices etc but I was in strong ketosis throughout due tot he calorie restriction and exercise - the deficit is quite high in the style of "Biggest Loser"
  • HappyAmazon
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. For those of you who are saying that the weight would immediately come back - are you speaking from personal experience with the Vale diet? From what I've read you get all of the nutrients your body needs while eliminating cravings for junk food and bad sugars. From other people's reviews, including some health nuts who weren't interested in weight loss, it looks like a beneficial process.
    To answer the question regarding my motivation for rapid weight loss - I've been eating healthy and maintaining a 1250 calorie per diet day with four days of cardio per week for a few weeks now. The first few days I lost 4 pounds but the scale hasn't budged since. Also, I will be moving soon and am interested in both the challenge of juicing for seven days, as well as the feeling that I will be letting go of the weight and toxins I've accumulated through comfort food.
    Thanks again!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I will be letting go of the weight and toxins I've accumulated through comfort food.

One, your body already detoxes itself. They're called organs. Two, fasting only results in water weight loss. Once you start eating normal again, the water weight will return. Please don't be foolish.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Two, fasting only results in water weight loss. Once you start eating normal again, the water weight will return.

This part is, unfortunately, utter rubbish.

Do you seriously believe if a massively obese man didn't eat for several months he would only lose "water weight" ?
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you. If you want to take off some weight fast to fit into a special occasion outfit, this might do the trick and be o.k.

However, and this comes from many years of experience with fighting the tendency to be fat and trying multiple "quick fixes" (although not this specific one, but most of them make these sorts of claims), weight that comes off quick comes back quick and usually brings extra pounds with it. You might be surprised to find out how out of control your appetite will be when you deprive it with one of these quick fix diets. I tended, for example, to lose 7 pounds fast and gain 10 back only slightly less fast.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've done it on several occasions and tbh its totally pointless. My mum has all the Jason Vale books and does the diet before a holiday and guess what she gains back the 5-10 pounds she loses each time. If she had stuck to eating at a deficit she would easily have lost as much weight as I have and then some.

The things people don't tell you about this diet is that it makes you feel really light headed, the drinks personally make me gag and they absolutely stink. Honestly if your serious about keeping the weight loss off then do it properly like most people on here by eating at a deficit and exercising.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    "Yea that seems like an excellent idea" said nobody ever...

+1
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Two, fasting only results in water weight loss. Once you start eating normal again, the water weight will return.

Do you seriously believe if a massively obese man didn't eat for several months he would only lose "water weight" ?

Wasn't referring to months. Was referring to the OP's title, which indicates only 7 days.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've done a juice fast before, I did it for 12 days.

I lost 17 pounds, and when I stopped, 5 pounds came back immediately.

12 pounds in 12 days basically, sounds great.....but losing weight the healthy weigh has been so much better.

But you are going to gain 3 or 4 pounds of whatever you lose back when you are done, guarantee that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

You will primarily lose water weight. You can't lose 7 actual Lbs of fat in a week, it is scientifically and mathematically impossible. As soon as you eat actual food again the water weight will come back on immediately.

Ummm...OP is talking about a 7 day juice fast, not months.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Wasn't referring to months. Was referring to the OP's title, which indicates only 7 days.

Squirming ? You clearly said "if you fast, you lose only water weight".

Rubbish.
  • yarwell
    Options
    You will primarily lose water weight. You can't lose 7 actual Lbs of fat in a week, it is scientifically and mathematically impossible. As soon as you eat actual food again the water weight will come back on immediately.

The portion of the weight loss that is glycogen-associated water may well return, but the visible removal of fat from my body was, err, visible. It still hasn't come back - it didn't get the memo. Weight loss is seldom, if ever, pure fat. Hence 3500 cals per lb and not the 4000+ of pure fat. So losing 7 lbs of which 20 or 30% is water still leaves 5lb of fat loss.

With a calorie deficit of 3500 calories a day (eg Biggest Loser participants http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2012-1444 ) Average reported loss was 5.5 lbs/week.