Do not use 'generic' options.

Options
I don't know why but for the last three or so weeks I have been using the 'generic white rice' option in the food database.

I finally decided to add the actual rice I use into the database and, guess what, yeah, it was already there.

The generic white rice was saying I was having, per 200g, 232 calories.

Going by the nutritional info on the packet of rice I was actually eating? 706 calories per 200g.

I feel stupid, I was thinking "But I am logging correctly!" and was dismayed that the scales, et al, were not going down as I assumed they should be. I was eating back almost my 500 calorie deficient without even realising.

I only have myself to blame and what's worse is I knew I shouldn't have been using the generic option. I hope this post will encourage some of you to be absolutely sure what you are eating is what you are actually eating.

Replies

• Julesoola
    Julesoola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That sounds more like a wet vs. dry measurement discrepancy than a completely false entry.
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That sounds more like a wet vs. dry measurement discrepancy than a completely false entry.

This.

Even some of the branded entries use cooked measurements and aren't identified as so. Always check the label.
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    Despite still loosing weight i did find when i searched things a lot of it was incorrect (more lower than higher). some of them are accurate but i always try to check it if i can! Or i make my own, as it's a nightmare trying to find the accurate/correct version for what you've had. Especially with the amount of different versions as values vary from products and countries! Drives me insane sometimes!
    Don't worry too much about it, just try and check it's right if you can. it's just a learning curve :)
    Good luck!
    <3
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No do not use generic entries or ones that start with the words homemade or an asterik...they are user entered.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078