heavy lifters: how many mins do u spend on lifting

Options
so whats your typical lifting routine and how many mins do u spend on a lifying session.
i spend 15mins warming up & 60mins lifting(my version of stronglifts 5x5)
talk to me, i'd love to hear what ur sessions consist of and how many mins u spend in the gym lifting

Replies

• awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hishtagat
    Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 70 to 100 minutes in total, depending on which lift I am doing and the assistance work I pick for the day.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on the routine, really. Kind of hard to generalize.

I spend longer on chest, shoulders, and triceps than the bicep/back and lower body days due to more exercises... I usually pair my core with bicep/back and lower body days and rarely do core on chest/shoulder/tricep days for that reason. I suppose most days about an hour or a little longer... if I stay steady...
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    oh nice
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    same as you, but, i really only spend a few minutes actually lifting if u wanna get technical...
  • RoxyBaroque
    RoxyBaroque Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Takes me 2 hours to do a 5 min warm up, workout (pretty much all my splits apart from core and back) and 15 minutes of sprintervals! No idea where the time goes!!
  • elainek79
    elainek79 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i do pretty much the same 10 mins warmup and 60 minutes lifting

but i have found myself there for nearly 2 hours if im waiting for machines to free up :(

you look awesome by the way!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I never spend more than 60mins at the gym, I dunno what you guys are busy doing.
  • beckytastic
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules of Lifting at the moment and have only 60 sec rests between exercises/sets so I set everything up first. That takes about 10 mins then after that the routine takes around 45 mins. I've only just started the second half of stage one so have moved on from 2 sets to 3, eventually this'll change to 4 sets which will take a little longer.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Depends what else I'm doing at the time as I've got my own setup, so no problems 'hogging' the rack etc.

From half an hour to an hour generally for something akin to starting strength.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Sheiko at the moment and that usually takes me around 2 hours. If I'm pushed for time I can usually squeeze it into 1hr 40 though depending on how tough I'm finding the sets / how long rest I need. This is 3x a week.

On the 4th day I just do a shorter lifting session, with the stuff that's not included in Sheiko (OHP/Rows/Chin ups) and that takes me 50-60 minutes roughly.
  • ryankerzan
    Options
    It isn't so much about the time as it is the work. I can get in and out in 30 minutes and be drenched and spent. Do circuits and intervals with little to no rest. Your heart benefits from this also. Set up stations with multiple movements or lifts and get to it. Do this with variation 4-5 times a week. Always incorporate your core (planks, or burpees are the best). Just alway be mixing it up so you do not get bored. That's my 2 cent.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It typically takes me between 75mins and 90mins for my SL workouts.

How much time am I actually lifting ? Usually 1min per set...rests are defined by the weight I am lifting, anywhere between 2mins and 31/2mins.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much about the time as it is the work. I can get in and out in 30 minutes and be drenched and spent. Do circuits and intervals with little to no rest. Your heart benefits from this also. Set up stations with multiple movements or lifts and get to it. Do this with variation 4-5 times a week. Always incorporate your core (planks, or burpees are the best). Just alway be mixing it up so you do not get bored. That's my 2 cent.

If you are lifting heavy (with squats and deads) there is no need to do separate 'core' exercises. Do planks and burpees if you want, but they aren't required for your 'core'.

Edited to add that also, sweat isn't an indication of a good workout.
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    25-30 minutes three times a week. Ive choosed Stronglifts 5x5.
    What is your version of it?
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    a workout should really take no more than an hour. This includes warm up. Anything else and you're fluffing about in the gym. playing on your phone (i'm guilty of this). Watching other people lift. getting a drink, have rest breaks that are too long etc. The list goes on.

I do a modified Rippletoe Workout.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My lifting sessions are usually about 30-45 minutes. However, I only rest for about 30 seconds in between. I also do my cardio on the same days for about 20-30 minutes.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do my own circuit/dumbbell thing at home and it takes between 30 minutes and 55 minutes usually. I try not to rest between sets.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    a workout should really take no more than an hour. This includes warm up. Anything else and you're fluffing about in the gym. playing on your phone (i'm guilty of this). Watching other people lift. getting a drink, have rest breaks that are too long etc. The list goes on.

I do a modified Rippletoe Workout.

eh..I don't go to a gym I do it at home and there is no fluffing about...playing on my phone, watching others...etc My rest periods are appropriate for my lifts...per most of what I have read a rest period between 1min - 5mins depending on the weight you are lifting...

My PR for Squats is 180lbs...30lbs over BW..I need that 3min rest period between each set otherwise it's not safe.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so whats your typical lifting routine and how many mins do u spend on a lifying session.
    i spend 15mins warming up & 60mins lifting(my version of stronglifts 5x5)
    talk to me, i'd love to hear what ur sessions consist of and how many mins u spend in the gym lifting

you shouldn't have "your version" of stronglifts. there is only one version of the program, unless you're adjusting for certain injuries or limitations.

i warm up for 5-10 minutes, usually by a fast walk or a run, and some dynamic stretching and calisthenics. then i lift for 30-60 minutes. i do 5/3/1, so it's 3 warm up sets of the main lift, 3 heavy sets with progressive overload. in between those 3 sets i usually rest the longest because i want to be as rested as possible to make sure my form is good and i can push my max.

then i do 2-3 assistance exercises, usually in the 6-12 rep range. for instance yesterday after 5/3/1 of overhead press, i then did 5 sets of ten reps of bench press at 50% of my max, and superset 8 reps of pull ups. i wanted to do a few power cleans afterwards, but i was pressed for time so i didn't.