How come I only lost 1 lb?

Options
2»

Replies

• missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Can I see what your diary and workout logs look like please? :) I'd love to try help

:smile: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to not to get discouraged, but please do learn to set realistic goals. It took me awhile to learn that 2 lbs per week is really very high in weight loss terms and will not be achievable when I lose more. I had heard for years that 1-2 lbs was healthy, and also that larger people lose more (and then, yeah, Biggest Loser Syndrome) so it was a shock to me to learn that that is really higher end and most people can't lose that much sustainably.

I've also learned the hard way that changes to exercise can mean weight gain/less weight loss, as can eating meals heavy in sodium (even when they fit in my calories/macros for the day). Mostly, it's about learning that it is a process and that you are looking for overarching trends. The scale is only one measure of progress - and it is a frustrating one, because it is constantly in flux - it is only true for that moment that you are on it. An hour later, it will be different because you've eaten or not eaten or used the bathroom, or the moon is full.

Take measurements and pictures of yourself and give yourself a variety of means to measure progress. It's never going to be constant and direct, and it will often be frustrating and the opposite of immediate. When it comes to figuring things out, you just have to tweak and adjust, but you can't know if you are tweaking/adjusting correctly or not because you have to give it weeks. For years, I was in the mindset of wanting to see immediate, huge results and when I didn't, I was frustrated and often quit because things weren't working (and often were not sustainable anyway). Now it's realizing this is a lifelong process at which I'll hit various points (fewer calories, more calories, workouts, maintenance, hopefully another pregnancy or two) so patience is key. Which isn't to say I don't get frustrated! I was at 307 (306 on Tuesday) and today I'm at 308. But I just take the average and know I'm doing the right things and if it doesn't show up tomorrow, then it probably will next week.

And you know what? You lost a pound! That's FANTASTIC! That is one more pound GONE. It probably doesn't feel like much, especially with the effort you put it - but it is. Those 'small' losses add up. I was feeling down last week and my husband pointed out that I'd lost FORTY pounds. It snuck up on me. That's the most weight I've ever lost in my life. In a few weeks, you'll be saying the same thing. Hang in there, chin up, keep going!
  • nikki13088
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the great responses. I will not give up!!!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Also, keep in mind that when you start a new exercise program, you will retain water to aid in repair.

Just give it time. You will have weeks where you lose a lot, weeks where you lose a little, weeks where you lose nothing, and weeks where you gain. It'll all trend downward if you just keep going.
  • Moniqueinthemiddle
    Moniqueinthemiddle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This happened to me as well. The first 2 weeks I lost about 8 lbs and then the 3rd week I lost nothing smh. I was so pissed that I wanted to give up, but I kept going and eventually kept losing weight. What ever you do don't give up on your weight loss.