I'm looking for easy snack/meal ideas.

Options
I need something easy, and want something low in carbs/saturated fat. I don't know how to cook, and have burned pots boiling water before.

What prepared meals/snacks can be bought inexpensively? What can be made easily at home? How inexpensive can decent eating be? What are good "go-to's"? What can be stocked for daily snacking?

Replies

• yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How this? you can buy packaged cut up vegetable in the grocery store. I like to look them over real good and slice out dry end and such. Then I soak all in very cold water for about an hour. Drain off the water and air dry a little. A salad spinner works well to get every thing dry. If you bought a large container put the extras in a zip lock bag in the refrige and save for another time. Pour out 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of low calorie salad dressing or dip. You can thin it down a little with skim milk to get more bang for your buck. Just dip and eat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    How this? you can buy packaged cut up vegetable in the grocery store. I like to look them over real good and slice out dry end and such. Then I soak all in very cold water for about an hour. Drain off the water and air dry a little. A salad spinner works well to get every thing dry. If you bought a large container put the extras in a zip lock bag in the refrige and save for another time. Pour out 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of low calorie salad dressing or dip. You can thin it down a little with skim milk to get more bang for your buck. Just dip and eat.

Why not buy the whole vegetables, and cut it yourself?
    It's more expensive to buy the packaged cut up veggies.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Frozen steam in bag vegetables are wonderful. I usually get them on sale for a dollar a bag and my hubby and I split it. Just add a lean protein like store roasted chicken or steamed shrimp and you have a meal.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You can buy prepared whole chickens if you like. Add veggies and you have several meals. Baking chicken breasts is fairly simple. (I do not cook either!) Many like to spend Sunday afternoon prepping/ cooking then divide out into individual portions for the week.

Cutting up veggies is easy just watch your fingers. Those microwave steamer bags of veggies are great. You can do baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes in the micro if you need to as well. Fruit doesn't require much work either. Eggs are easy to fix in a multitude of ways. Greek yogurt or hummus can be great veggie dips. Nuts and cheese make easy grab and go snacks.

Try looking online for simple, less than 5 ingredient recipes or a beginners cooking book and try out a recipe or two. I don't cook because my hubby does all the cooking, but I can do some basic stuff if needed.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I cook a lot so i wont share those idea with you. BUT

For snacks I'll buy trailmix in bulk, raw broccoli and snap peas, grapes, cheese cubes, driend mango slices, ect.
    Then I'll pre portion them out into little snack baggies so that I never over eat when I have a snack.
    Also the perk of having the pre portioned snacks is that I can grab it quick and on the go.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really? "I don't know how to cook". My advice is to learn. Pick up a simple cookbook and get going. It's just like learning how to ride a bike. I dislike when people say I don't know how to cook. I think what an excuse, just lazy. Sorry if this was harsh.
  • QAZ2002
    QAZ2002 Posts: 7
    Options
    Interesting ideas.
  • Zebusz
    Zebusz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like triscuit crackers with a small amount of cheese (whatever you'd like) and some turkey breast. Makes a great little snack!