Veggie Seasoning

Options
Is there a "veggie seasoning" out there that I can sprinkle on my broccoli/cauliflower to give it a bit more flavor. I am looking for something to use instead of butter. I thought years ago I had bought something like that, but have not been able to find anything recently. Perhaps i'm looking in the wrong place? Any ideas to add flavor to my veggies without adding a lot of calories?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Try a little bit of balsamic vinegar. Yummy!

Also McCormick makes one called perfect pinch that I used to use before deciding to go low sodium.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Maybe something like Mrs. Dash? They have a lot of different flavors.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I used Mrs. Dash, Olive Oil, and margarine or butter in a spray.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    crushed cayenne peppers
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar, lemon and lime juice too.
  • kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like to grill my veggies with a smidge of sesame oil instead of olive oil. Gives it a whole different flavor that doesn't require anything else to make it tasty.
  • bookmaggot
    bookmaggot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Depending on the vegetable, I like a little bit of sucralose, curry powder, cayenne pepper, NoSalt (sodium-free salt replacement), Mrs. Dash, or Liquid Smoke. None of those will contribute any calories.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    After we changed to salt free/ low sodium we started cooking a lot of veggies with onion powder. Even the so called "salt potatoes", a typical German side dish which calls for about 1.5 teaspoons of salt in the water tastes very well with onion powder instead of the salt. Another replacement I use is to boil veggies and rice in low sodium chicken broth instead of salty water. Adds a little sodium and the chicken flavor to the dish
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with cooking my vegetables with a spritz of lemon juice, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a dash of garlic. The lemon juice just brings out this wonderful, natural taste that vegetables have! If that's not enough flavor, cooking with a splash of vinegar is also a good route to go, adding that acidic almost saltiness without the additional sodium intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Typically I do salt, pepper, onion powder.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I roast veggies I use olive oil, salt, and Montreal Steak seasoning. If I steam I use salt, pepper, and butter spray.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use Penzey's Fox Point seasoning... Don't know if you have a store near you, but I imagine they have a website. It's fantastic!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I make a seasoned olive oil; dried rosemary, crushed red pepper, a little kosher salt, oregano, and pepper. Only need a tiny bit on veggies, and adds some variety!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter has a spray that I use on veggies to get that butter taste. It's not perfect, but it helps, and 0 cals for 5 sprays.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Cavenders Greek seasoning, any of the Paul Prudhommes powders, rendezvous seasoning, Emeril's bam, curry powder of any sort.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, I will try some new ones this weekend.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    salt free mrs. dash