Waist to hip ratio

Options
Apparently my waist to hip ratio is too high. So how do I fix that? I've already lost 18 pounds. I'm still overweight but not excessively. But I always carry the most weight in the middle. How do I fix that/. Should I change my food intake? I know about sit ups. I use the torso twist and abdominal machines at the gym almost daily. But I need some more info.

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    who told you that??

You can't change your natural shape hun! Well, unless you have surgery?

And, to my knowledge, you can't spot reduce fat.

All you can do is tone the area more, by exercise.

But I wouldnt worry about a mythical ratio, I'd just get to your healthy/goal weight and tone up!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Supposedly the more weight you carry around the middle the higher rate of diabetes and heart disease. I nee to trim my middle. I have skinny legs, my arms could be trimmed a bit but I'm not huge by any standards. But my waist is unporportional to the rest of me.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lose more weight. Reduce your body fat percentage. I read something recently that said a good guideline as far as health risks are concerned is taking your height in inches, dividing that by 2, and comparing it to your waist size. For example, I'm 62" tall, so my waist should be no more than 31". Even though I'm technically overweight, this risk factor for heart disease is low for me because I have a 27" waist. Of course, my waist to hip ratio is low. VERY low. I have the opposite problem. I find that the more weight I lose, the more proportionate I become. I lose in my waist, my chest, my wrists, my toes, etc. THEN I lose in my rump. Gah. It will happen, though. Just keep at it. Eat healthy, exercise, and drink lots of water. If you're really concerned about your waist size, consider talking to your doctor. :flowerforyou:
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Well I'm 5'4" so thats...64". That would mean my waist should be 32? It's currently 36.
  • RPM77
    RPM77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do ab exercises all day but that won't change your waist line very much. Abs are made in the kitchen. Cleaning up your diet - less processed foods, lean protein, good carbs (complex) and good fats. I suggest the Clean Eating Diet guidelines. Keep yourself in a calorie deficit and it will start to melt away. My experience has been that after I loose weight, I have to keep careful with my eating for a while and then I will start to see the progress in my problem areas (tops of my hips and abs). My abs are always the last thing to show progress.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'4" so thats...64". That would mean my waist should be 32? It's currently 36.

That's it. You got it. RPM77 just gave fantastic advice on what to do about it. Although ab exercises won't spot fat reduce, toning the muscles certainly won't hurt the appearance of your belly when you get down a few inches. Also, exercise in general is good because it does burn fat. It may sound counter-intuitive, but lower body exercise will help. Your lower body is good for a bigger calorie burn because the muscles there are larger.
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i am obese (bmi 30.8) but I have normal whr.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    Sleep more, less stress, less sodium

1) sodium makes your body carry more water.
    2) sleep more, less stress when your body is tired or stess your adrenal glands produce more cortisol which causes your body to store more fat in the "belly area" for future use. (this I learned at my health club class)

So relax more, don't stress the small stuff and get enough sleep. Add that to your healthier eating, drinking more water and exercise.

Heres something I saw on the internet.... http://ezinearticles.com/?Adrenal-Fatigue-and-Belly-Fat&id=1411237