Butternut Squash Soup

KeriD
KeriD Posts: 324
edited September 21 in Recipes
This is a very yummy soup, a complete meal!!! Sorry I don't know the nutritional breakdown on it. Please let me know if you figure it out. Enjoy!!!

Butternut Squash Soup with Sausage and Wild Rice

2 1/2 - 3 lbs butternut squash (cut in half remove the seeds and strings)
2 tbsp olive oil
3 - 4 cans chicken broth
2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup wild rice (cook per pkg instructions, you can cook it in broth with a few onions) (this takes about one hour to cook)
Kielbasa sausage cut up to taste
1 cup frozen corn
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup half and half
parsley
dash garlic to taste
dash of poultry seasoning to taste (optional)

Rub cut side of squash with oil. Cover baking sheet with foil. Place squash, cut sides down on sheet. Roast in 400 degree oven 45-60 min till squash is fork tender. Allow to cool. Scrape flesh from skin. Puree with one can of broth. Can freeze until ready to assemble soup.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in stock pot. Add sausage and brown. Add onion, corn, salt and pepper. Cook til onions are tender. Add broth (to desired consistency) and squash puree. Simmer 20 mins. Add cooked rice, garlic poultry seasoning and parsley. Just before serving stir in the half and half.

Replies

• Wow, that sounds really tasty. I'll have to give this a try, do you have nutritional info?
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    I am sorry but I don't know the nutritional info....but I guarantee this is an amazing soup....probably my fav! : )))
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Bump! (I may just have to try this tomorrow!)
  • Mande_G
    I made this last night (with some modifications -- I'm vegan, so no chicken broth or cream for me -- veggie broth and soy milk all the way, baby!) and it was SO GOOD! The hubby even raved about it.

And there's leftovers for tonight, too. :happy:
  • Mande_G
    Also... when I cooked the squash, I baked it in a baking dish, cut side down, in about a 1/2 inch water (no oil), and I also cooked up the onion and corn in a little water, as well. Not that there's anything wrong with olive oil! But water can be subbed in without a problem.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Wow - sounds delicious!! I'll have to save this one for later :)
  • I will have to try this without dairy (lactose intolerance)...and when I do, I will put it in the" my recipes" and get the nutritioinal info from there (you can do that with any recipe you have! All you gotta do is go to the food tab and then click on the 'my recipes" header - type in the ingredients and how many servings and you are golden).
This discussion has been closed.