Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HIIT?

So, my cardio combo instructor just had us do HIIT this week. We listened to a CD and did the 8 cardio exercises, 8 rounds following 20 seconds on, 10 off, and 30 seconds off in between sets. I actually really liked it and felt like I got way more of a workout than I would with my typically run.

I was just wondering if this is a good exercise? It seemed quicker...we did 8 rounds. But, my body felt like it got more of a work out than my 3 mile/30 minute run. Just wondering if this is something I could do to burn more calories or on rainy days.

Any advice or any info from someone who has tried it would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    High Intensity Interval Training is awesome. It really increases your VO2 Max which has big payoffs later, particularly if you're a cardio nut. It basically means you can exercise at a higher intensity later, but feel the same as a lower intensity now. To get the most benefit, try your hardest to get your HR up near 100% of max.

That being said, most HIIT practitioners recommend not doing it everyday, but having a rest day between. Also, you are plowing through some glycogen, so make sure to refuel or you will soon start bonking.
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Thanks! How long on average is a HIIT session? Including the rest periods?
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    You have everything from Tabata style, which is about 5 minutes up to 20 minutes of longer interval periods. Technically, if you go to an oval track, sprint the straights and walk the curves you're doing intervals. Do it for a mile. Can take a bit.

Generally speaking though, if it takes more than 15 minutes on the interval portion, you probably aren't pushing yourself to a level where you get the VO2 Max benefits.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Any advice or any info from someone who has tried it would be great! Thanks!

Interval training is one of the three modes of CV work that together drive significant improvements in performance; long duration moderate intensity, moderate duration higher intensity, highest intensity intervals.

It really depends on your desired outcomes what the combination of those should be. Personally I do two moderate intensity sessions per week, one of 90-120 minutes and one of about 45 minutes, then three tempo/ intervals per week totalling about 45-60 minutes each, including warm up and cool down.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    its the best, quickest way to workout your entire body (in my limited novice experience)

my boyfriend just started getting into his own routine of HIIT and is seeing crazy results, its super inspiring!