Eat back CALS when maintaining weight?

Options
Do I eat back CALS I've worked off if I'm makntaining?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It takes trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. Start by eating back your calories at the same rate you did while you were losing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    I do.

I cant see why you wouldn't.

When I got to my goal weight 4 months ago, I just re set MFP to say 'maintain weight' instead of lose x amount and then aimed for that new number of calories per day and did everything else the same - just ate bit more than when I was losing.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. I cannot eat mine but many do without a prob. I eat about half mine - if I eat them all, I gain. S
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Some people do, some people dont, its all trial and error really :) Best thing to do is eat half of them back/all, see what happens with your weight, but really you should be fine
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have to eat mine or I continued to lose. In fact, I had a stomach bug last week and am having trouble putting the weight I lost back on. I guess I can live with that until Lent is over and I get my half & half back in my coffee. :-)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I can't. It doesn't work for me
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you were using MFP as intended then you should have been eating them when your were losing and now also when maintaining.
    It seems to be implied that you haven't been?

In the end you need to cancel out your weight loss calorie deficit with more calories, whether you call them "exercise calories" or just calories you simply need to eat more and experiment to find your maintenance level.

So either same calorie amount every day (TDEE method) or set MFP to maintain weight and log/eat back exercise calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes. And if I need to be within my daily allowance that day (some days I eat over 3K without exercise), I will go for a walk to add some calories back so I can eat more. :-)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I eat most or all of mine back.