Certain foods don't fill me up AT ALL??

Options
I've been curious about this for a while, and today I was talking with my friends as they were eating bagels. One of my friends said that she always feels so full after eating a bagel, whereas I need to eat 3 (with cream cheese) to feel even remotely full, even though I don't need nearly that many calories for one meal. The same thing happens to me with food like peanut butter sandwiches, oatmeal, goldfish (I know those are refined and all, but everyone else on the track team is fine with a bag that keeps them full till dinner time). I know carbs are important, so of course I eat them, but they only fill me up if I have them with lean protein it seems.

I used to eat straight up carbs all the time when I was younger; Instant oatmeal for breakfast, bagel and cookies for lunch, pasta for a dinner, and ice cream for dessert; and I was TOTALLY fine!

Just wondering, what causes this? How did I develop what I feel is like an intolerance to carbs?! Is there a way to fix it? cause I would love to eat more bagels, and have one satisfy me instead of leaving me hungry for more. According to all the nutrition calculators, I get way more protein than I need it seems (I generally get way over 100 a day whenever i've calculated it), but that's what it takes for me to feel satiated.

Replies

• aprilw2222
    aprilw2222 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You have a very metabolism and when you eat carbs you apparently digest them faster then the average person. The problem is that carbs do not satisfy for very long before you start feeling hungry again. Protein is the way to stay feeling full for longer. If you are running track or cross country you need protein to help maintain muscle health. Try eating some raw veggies with your bagel, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water, the brain senses thirst in the form of hunger pains.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I don't know but one bagel will fill me up for hours but things with protein (cottage cheese, tuna, greek yogurt, etc.) only last about 1/2 hour before I'm scavenging for food. I don't care what anyone says, protein does NOT fill me up or keep me full and neither do vegetables. Also, if I drink water when I'm hungry I just feel sloshy, not full, although diet soda, tea and miso soup don't make me feel sloshy. Oatmeal and fruit makes my blood sugar spike then dip so eating oatmeal or fruit alone isn't an option.

I think the bottom line is, everyone's different. I agree with editorgrrl, the only way you can find out what works for you is to try different stuff. If bagels don't do it and a chicken breast does, well then, you know what you have to do.

Just a thought: Since you were able to tolerate a high carb diet before but can't now, have you had your blood sugar and A1C checked lately? Especially if you find yourself hungry a lot, thirsty a lot and peeing a lot. Those are the cardinal signs of diabetes mellitus. Intolerance to carbs is kind of an "unofficial" sign of DM.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is common.

I'm the opposite. Protein doesn't do much of anything for me, but carbs and fat fill me up.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. Protein doesn't do much of anything for me, but carbs and fat fill me up.

That's the way I am, I'll eat of full bowl of tuna and cottage cheese (two cans and cup respectively) and still be hungry afterwards.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    Bagels are my favorite, but i'm the same way. carby foods don't fill me up.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    For me, fiber is very filling. Fat and protein are somewhat filling, but less so, and non-fiber carbs aren't. Liquid calories might as well not exist as far as my body is concerned...

Since oatmeal leaves you hungry, fiber probably isn't very filling for you. Try eating less protein at once but more often if it provides you with satiation.
  • charlatte987
    charlatte987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! All very helpful. Also, about the possibility of diabetes, I probably should have mentioned in my original post that when I was younger and eating all those carbs, I was about 15 pounds heavier, and ate until I felt full. So, I would have those two bagels if I was still hungry for example; I just wouldn't care that it should have taken me half of that to feel full.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I too have difficulty being satisfied with certain high carb foods.

I could clear through close to 2,000 calories of oreos or french fries before I ever feel full.

Meanwhile give me two cans of tuna fish, some mayo, with some cooked spinach mixed in? I won't get through half of it in one sitting.

Protein/fat combos with little to no carbs fill me right up. Carbs? It always takes more.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    In the weight loss groups I work with we start everyone on high protein. In part, most of them have led sedentary lives and now they are also exercising. So the protein goes to help them build new muscle. However, for a lot of people protein is filling. If I was to say hey eat this pint of ben and jerry's at 1200 calories. Not a problem. But if I said hey eat these 70 egg whites for 1200. That's tough for a lot of people. Can you imagine eating 70 egg whites after dinner? But, think about how many people ask for dessert after an excessive meal. They somehow manage to get it down.

It's been my experience that getting people switched into a high protein, clean food diet is that they complain about having to eat so much food. A lot of MFP are very Calorie in Calorie Out nothing else matters. Except. Losing weight is very mental for a lot of people. If macro's don't matter why do we have people saying these foods fill me up and these dont? And why does MFP even track macro's if it doesn't matter? I just think that telling everyone all you need to worry about is the number of calories doesn't help much. Okay I need 1800 calories today. So go eat Ben and Jerry's and 2 doughnuts. Let's see how hungry you are the rest of the day.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'd have to eat 6 bagels...so there you go!

Simple carbs seem to make me crave simple carbs.

I just acknowledge that that is true, and work with that.