Will Ensure help me gain healthy weight?

Options
I am a bit underweight (around 10+ pounds under weight, 92~ pounds at 5'2"). I've only just begun research and there's several things I can add to food I am already eating, as well as additional food. I just thought it would be easier to take Ensure for now just to get things moving. There is regular Ensure which is 250 calories and plus or boost with 350 I believe. I decided on the 250 one to start. I figured perhaps it would be good to add slowly for my body and mind in particular.
I do eat 3 meals a day and snack in between but after working out I'm still only around 1200-1300 calories a day. So I figured I'd squeeze these in, one a day and continue adding to what I normally eat a bit.

I just worry about being all flabby. To be honest I've never been toned. I worry about how much muscle I've lost. Since I've never been a toned gal (I only use a stationary bike up to now) will it even make a difference? I know muscle weighs more than fat. So this is what I mean by healthy weight, I really don't have a desire to turn to junk food. But these seem to have a lot of sugar (23 grams) and carbs (40 grams). The fat content seems low, I think it was 6 or 9 grams.

I know I should keep working out to a minimum but have read that doing strength exercises would be good in addition to gaining weight. I only did 3 sets of 15 crunches and my stomach kills 3 days later. Just makes me feel like I've withered away. And I did some weights with my arms and they hurt. I only used my bike today because I was sedentary today and just feel lousy. Feel heavy in my chest, tired. That's what made me go out and get the ensures. I thought the nutrients in it would be good too.

Replies

• doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of whole foods you can add in to get higher calories. Avocado, nuts, olive oil, dried fruit.... I think you should reach for those first before adding in shakes.

It sounds like you're feeling worn down from being underfed. So I'd suggest start eating more, maybe add in a high calorie smoothie (made with nut butters, bananas, full fat greek yogurt) or two. As your body starts to get the nutrients it needs, you'll most likely start feeling better.

Exercising is good, there's no need to stop, just adjust what you're doing. I really would start adding in strength training. Maybe you could be so sore because it's hard for your body to recover?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like you are on the right track.

I agree - food is a better option, but if your doctor thinks that Ensure is a good option, it's worth trying out. For me, eating cashews or frying eggs in butter trumps a drink any day of the week, but we're all different and have different needs :wink:

The reason why you are so sore is because you are just starting out. Start at a level you can do and move up, giving yourself rest days for recovery. While I, personally, find full body exercises (like planks or pushups) to be much more effective at providing a strong core, if you continue to do the ab exercises you will be able to crank out those sets every day without any lingering pain by the end of the month. Like one internet meme says "Today's challenge is tomorrow's warmup."
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's hard to build muscle. It takes consistency and progressive overload. You will quickly stop gaining new muscle from calisthenics. The progressive overload element is missing. Look into a novice program where you can progress, and that doesn't involve a silly fluff and pump workload that will bury you for minimal benefit. If you have access to a weight room, do stronglifts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't waste money on Ensure brand name when there is competition around now, look sideways on the shelf, probably a generic Ensure actually made by one of the competitors with the generic name.

It can be great for emergencies, but try to plan as best you can eating a good variety of whole foods and plenty of protein from different sources.
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would say go for a supplement (Ensure or some generic brand; doesn't really matter which) only if the volume of your daily intake is making it difficult to eat all of it. At one point in a previous weight restoration I had to do, I was having up to 3 supplements a day to make sure my caloric needs were met with the activity level I kept!

If you feel that volume isn't an issue, then go with the more whole foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes/nuts, ect... Sounds like you are on the right track though!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ensure would work since its full of vitamins you need but in the longterm you may gain weight and then lose it again when you stop taking them :(

I would just try and add healthy/calorie dense foods (milk, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, dried fruit, nuts, olive oil, yoghurt, eggs, fish, chicken, red meat, cheese) Also adding some exercise too is always healthy for your body, just slowly boost your calories up until you start gaining, goodluck!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ensure, Boost, and similar supplement shakes are essentially milk with flavoring vegetable oil, and vitamins/minerals added. You can accomplish the same thing for less money by drinking chocolate milk and taking a vitamin pill. There's nothing magical about the "nutritional" shakes.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories when you can vs. drinking them.

Exercise. :wink:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You will not gain weight until you are eating more than you burn no matter what you are eating/drinking.

If Ensure is a way that you can wrap your head around consuming more calories, by all means, do it.

I suffer from body dismorphia as well. I get what you are going through. Please feel free to reach out to talk to me if you ever need support. Trust me when I say, as hard as it is to wrap our mind around because all we see is what we wanna do next to make our bodies better, we look way better when we are not severely under weight.

I would wait until you gain a few pounds before starting exercise. If you decide to go the weight lifting route, you should drink a very high calorie protein shake.

Good luck, dont forget, I am here if you need me.

L
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories when you can vs. drinking them.

Exercise. :wink:

This. Eat and lift weights.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't think very highly of a doctor who told me a great way to eat was a vitamin fortified milk shake. Sorry.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have had doctors suggest them as a short term solution when weight gain is an issue.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    OP, my first question is if you are recovering from an ED? If so, I think that you are on the right track.

I do agree that eating actual food is the best option, nutritious and calorically dense food. However, I would rather that you get those extra calories through a supplement rather than not get them at all. Have you considered making your own shakes like another poster mentioned? That might be a good option for you as well

And I do also agree that a solid lifting program is the way to go in terms of activity. However...I also believe that if you are recovering from an ED that it is important to get your nutrition and intake nailed down and then go from there.

You got this! :flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't think very highly of a doctor who told me a great way to eat was a vitamin fortified milk shake. Sorry.

This is completely dependent on the individual. For a totally healthy person perhaps, but there are many that suffer from illness and ED that can benefit from those types of supplements.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    One of my kids is very underweight and we were told to add carnation instant breakfast to his milk in the morning and afternoon. We were told it would not fill him up like the shakes because the goal is to eat more of the right foods. Talk to your doctor and/or a nutritionist. Gaining weight is just as hard as losing it I've discovered. His energy is low but then - he's very underweight.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    When I was recovering from an ED, my doctor told me to take a multivitamin and have a milkshake everyday whether I wanted it or not in addition to my regular meals and snacks until I got up to 150lbs. Ensure accomplishes the same thing, although you'd need two/day for the calories in a shake from my college cafeteria. I did as I was told and put on a pound a week using the milkshake method. I don't recall being flabby at 150. I'm a little flabby at 153 now, but I've also had 4 kids so I don't expect to have a perfect body.

BTW, you know what I almost never want now and haven't for 20 years? A milkshake. It took close to six months of one a day to get to my goal. I was tired of them and I'm just now kind of getting over that.
  • drew06
    drew06 Posts: 28
    Options
    Eat some more fats in the form of nuts/grassfed butter/olive oil/ avocado and bump up your protein intake to roughly .8-1g of bodyweight.

I also highly recommend strength training, at least a couple of times a week incorporating squats/deadlifts/presses/pull ups. You might start to lose some weight at first, but eventually you should start to gain some muscle and burn fat.

Oh and make sure not to increase calories too quickly, allow some time for your metabolism to catch up to the new caloric intake.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am a bit underweight (around 10+ pounds under weight, 92~ pounds at 5'2"). I've only just begun research and there's several things I can add to food I am already eating, as well as additional food. I just thought it would be easier to take Ensure for now just to get things moving. There is regular Ensure which is 250 calories and plus or boost with 350 I believe. I decided on the 250 one to start. I figured perhaps it would be good to add slowly for my body and mind in particular.
    I do eat 3 meals a day and snack in between but after working out I'm still only around 1200-1300 calories a day. So I figured I'd squeeze these in, one a day and continue adding to what I normally eat a bit.

I just worry about being all flabby. To be honest I've never been toned. I worry about how much muscle I've lost. Since I've never been a toned gal (I only use a stationary bike up to now) will it even make a difference? I know muscle weighs more than fat. So this is what I mean by healthy weight, I really don't have a desire to turn to junk food. But these seem to have a lot of sugar (23 grams) and carbs (40 grams). The fat content seems low, I think it was 6 or 9 grams.

I know I should keep working out to a minimum but have read that doing strength exercises would be good in addition to gaining weight. I only did 3 sets of 15 crunches and my stomach kills 3 days later. Just makes me feel like I've withered away. And I did some weights with my arms and they hurt. I only used my bike today because I was sedentary today and just feel lousy. Feel heavy in my chest, tired. That's what made me go out and get the ensures. I thought the nutrients in it would be good too.

An alternative to Ensure is homemade smoothies. These can be fortified with protein powder, Greek yogurt, nuts, nut butters, fruits and vegetables. You can even add supplements like fish oil to your smoothies. The best part is you can make any combination you want and they taste good! I made a coconut raspberry smoothie for breakfast this morning that came in at 322 cal but 38 g protein. Essentially, this is a meal replacement. Homemade smoothies are considerably less expensive than Ensure too.
  • notmuchreally
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!! Fortunately I got the Ensure on sale. By the time I finish them I'd like to have figured out another kind of Shake. I do find it easy and helpful but only just started.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!! Fortunately I got the Ensure on sale. By the time I finish them I'd like to have figured out another kind of Shake. I do find it easy and helpful but only just started.

I love using them and similar, whatever's cheaper but about equal, as replacement for chocolate milk after a hard cardio workout, and I've got another tomorrow planned.
    I figure for slight increase in price, why not get all the extra vitamins and minerals. Tad extra can't hurt at that point.