Protein Powders

Options
With the summer coming up I love to make smoothies but I was interested in adding a protein powder to them, I was wondering what would be the best brand for adding to my diet but not having me bulk up. My goal is to loose about 20lbs over the next 6 months and Im afraid by adding the powder might make me gain muscle weight instead.

Replies

• vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love Beverly International UMP chocolate protein powder. So tasty.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about bulking up unless you are lifting a lot and actually trying to bulk. People that have big muscles don't get them by chance. I just got "Designer Whey: Chocolate" today and it's really good! 18g protein for 100 calories. I have tried a lot and hated them all, this is the first one I have liked.
  • wickedpursuit
    wickedpursuit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You will not gain "muscle weight' by consuming protein powder. Women also don't bulk up the same way men do! Just remember that the powder does have calories, so make sure to account for those! When I do use the protein powders, it's usually Body Fortress. I like the vanilla, but I've heard their other flavors are pretty good.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You will not gain "muscle weight' by consuming protein powder.
    So true. If you sit on your *kitten* and intake 100g protein, you're not going to "bulk up". ha

Now Whey Protein Isolate is 105 kcal and 25g protein. Add it to whatever drink/shake/water you like. It's filling, relatively tasteless (so adding it to a shake will make no difference), and best protein/calorie I've used. Why flavour it when you can just add it to items you'd intake anyway?
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I will just say when choosing a protein powder avoid soy protein isolates. They're super common in protein bars and some powders.
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    I was introduced to the Muscletech powder that Sam's Club sells, vanilla, and it is by far the best I have found.
    I am a chocolate freak so I have always tried the 'chocolate' ones, but for some reason they have a hard time mixing when you add water or milk. For some reason vanilla ones don't have that issue. My .02.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Manitoba Harvest hemp protein (only has hemp seeds as the ingredients). I also like Vita-Whey by Vita Source (it's tasteless and its texture blends really easily--you can sprinkle it on stuff to get a little extra protein).