Need veggie cooking ideas

Options
I'm getting to the point I can't stand my veggies! I usually steam them and mix them up - broccoli/asparagus, zuchini/broccoli/lima beans, etc. Add a little butter with canola and salt and pepper or sprinkle of parmesan.

I need some new ideas for cooking them! I tried the mashed cauliflower and all I could think of was mashed potatoes when taking a bite and they DO NOT taste like mashed potatoes! LOL Would like some quick cooking ideas as I like to get dinner done with and get onto working out in the evenings.

Thanks for any ideas!!!!

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Roasting is my favorite during cold months. Soon my veggies will be hitting the grill.

There are so many great combinations for roasting. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I guess its been so cold for so long here I forgot about the grill! LOL Thanks! I even have a grill pan for roasting. Yum!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm roasting red and golden beats with pearl onions with a pistachio vinaigrette.

I'll let you know how it is, new recipe.

Karen
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make the mashed cauliflower with light cream cheese, light sour cream, chives and then I put them in individual ramekins and sprinkle with a combination of cheddar cheese and parmesan. I bake it in the oven until it's HOT and BUBBLY. It tastes like cauliflower but it has a really decadent and rich flavour to it.

I also steam a lot of veggies and use a spritzer with olive oil, and a little lemon juice just for something a bit zesty.

I've also gotten into roasting and grilling. Peppers and zucchini grilled in the oven with olive oil and lemon are great. You can add a little "heat" to them as well for a different taste.
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Sauteed in lemon juice and a hint of cayenne pepper powder and garlic! Yum! :-)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you like highly seasoned food like curry, check out the you tube videos of manjulas kitchen and vah chef. Lots of vegetarian dishes. Today I made cabbage based on a recipe from a MFP posting. Sweet onions and cabbage cooked with caraway seeds. Super yummy. A great way to cook yellow squash and onions is to thoroughly dust the diced veggies with chili powder and dump them in hot olive oil and stir like crazy til they are translucent. I never have leftovers of that one.
  • Vorpal_Sword
    Vorpal_Sword Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you consider potatoes veggies?
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you consider potatoes veggies?

I eat them occasionally. IIFYM! I did find a great way to cook them. I cut them up and microwave them til they are about done. Then I toss them in olive oil and seasoning and put them in the oven at about 425 degrees til they get crunchy. they seem to get crunchier that way instead of putting them in the oven raw.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    1. Thinly slice a potato, spray some olive oil on them and season them with salt and garlic. Roast in the oven on 400-425 for 20-30 minutes (depending on how thick you slice them). I usually turn the broiler on for a couple minutes to crisp them up, too.

2. Saute sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic and season with salt or whatever other spices you prefer (you can do this with or without olive oil)

3. Roasted cabbage with olive oil/garlic or balsamic vinegar, or a roasted mix of #2 above... I'll pretty much roasted anything :)

I usually grill in mid-late spring and all through the summer as much as I can... can't wait!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just bought some infused olive oil (garlic, basil and hot pepper). I like drizzling a few drops on my steamed veggies.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Tempura
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You might also look for ways to "sneak" veggies into main dishes you're eating (I'm assuming you're not vegetarian
    as I didn't see you mention that). Do things like put julienned carrots into meatloaf. Another easy substitute is wherever you might use iceberg lettuce swap it with raw baby spinach. (It actually adds a really nice crisp crunch to burgers.) I know plenty of people use it and/or kale in smoothies, can't say I've tried that personally yet.

If you're making brownies, add some fiber/nutritional value by substituting all the oil with a can of RINSED black beans pureed with a cup of water. Brownies are SUPER moist, you can't tell there are beans in there. While I won't go as far as saying "good for you brownies" at least you're getting SOME nutrition along with your treat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted, I just don't do it much because of the extra oil calories... but just toss them in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and put them in the oven.

Or just steamed with some salt, pepper and onion powder.

I love mashed cauliflower with light cream cheese - but yeah... definitely doesn't taste like potatoes. Could eat it every day though. Mashed carrots are delicious too, I just add salt and pepper.

Or add veggies in your meals - shepherd's pie, meatloaf, frittatas, fried rice etc.