Maintaining a small loss (20lbs and under)

Options
So I lost about 12lbs. I keep hearing people gain a few pounds after switching to maintenance and it's normal to fluctuate up to 5lbs. What about the folks who only lost 10? Gaining back half of what you lost as fluctuation sounds horrible! I am focusing primarily on toning and dropped my few pounds as way to help with that, but after 3 months of work, I certainly don't want it back!

Thoughts?

Replies

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Look at the thread I just bumped titled "why you gain weight when you eat more than your cut". It will explain it all to you. Hope that helps!
  • dfrances89
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you right now. I've only lost a small amount of weight but I no longer want to lose weight as quickly as I was. I'm going to try and maintain for now and if I end up losing a few more lbs, I'll be happy. If I find that I start gaining more than a few lbs (like 2) then I think I'll resume eating in a calorie deficit. I've also stopped eating back all of my calories burned from working out and I find this gives me a nice cushion in case I didn't log my calories correctly.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I lost 38 pounds (20% of my starting weight) and figured I was in 'maintenance' when I hit my 5 pound 'box'. That's what I figured was at the top of the range I would be happy with. Then I upped my calories from a 500 calorie to 250 calorie deficit.

I never did gain. I kept losing until I was at the BOTTOM of that box. Some people call that a soft landing.

If you lost 10 pounds that sounds like the 10 pounds is the TOP of the box you want to stay in. I'd cut back your deficit and just go into a slow weight loss until you eventually hit the bottom of that box. It's actually a really nice place to be.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and did not gained back any weight. Sometimes it fluctuated (1-2 pounds normally) put I don,t make a big deal out of it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's weight fluctuates—everybody's. It has nothing to do with how much you used to weigh. It's just the way the human body works.

It will take a whole lot of trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. Weigh weekly, and add or cut 100 calories whenever your weight goes outside your comfort zone.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and did not gained back any weight. Sometimes it fluctuated (1-2 pounds normally) put I don,t make a big deal out of it.

Exactly! I lost 14 lbs and gained back 2 lbs, by choice. I have been in maintenance for more than 3 years and I am still at the same weight, with very little fluctuation. Most of the time my fluctuation is down rather than up.

I am eating at maintenance (1430 for me), and I eat most of my exercises calories during the week, which are not many at my size/age and just doing strength training.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Does it make sense if my "maintenance plan" is to eat at a small deficit (-300) during the work week and then relax a bit more on the weekends, still continuing to work out 6x week? I have my calories set to lose .5 a week right now and I'm waiting to see how that plays out.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Does it make sense if my "maintenance plan" is to eat at a small deficit (-300) during the work week and then relax a bit more on the weekends, still continuing to work out 6x week? I have my calories set to lose .5 a week right now and I'm waiting to see how that plays out.
    The only way to find out is to try it for at least 2 weeks, then reevaluate.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The only way to find out is to try it for at least 2 weeks, then reevaluate.

This. It does make sense. It might work. It also might not. You might keep losing. You might go more overboard on the weekends than you intend to and start gaining. But in general, a plan like that were you keep a small deficit during the week so as to be able to splurge on the weekend can work, it just might take some tweaking!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    People always say that you will gain back some weight once you start maintenance.

This is absolutely not true for everyone. It did not happen to me---never even really went up another pound. However, I also slowly upped my calories and I think when I switched to maintenance I went from 1720--->1980 or something like that. No gain for me.

I do, however, keep my weight in check by giving myself a range to fall into.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

It always makes sense to work out. It's good for you.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your going to gain, If your food choices are not healthy. To loose weight to be where you want to be. To stay that way. Its a lifestyle change. You have to stick with it. Always treat yourself once in awhile. Go out to eat, or whatever it maybe. In order to keep the weight off a healthy lifestyle has to stick. Focus on good eating choices and a workout you enjoy. Any more advice or tips please feel free to message me or send me a request! Good luck to you hope my advice helps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets the glycogen/water weight bounce.
    Depends how you lost your weight (speed of loss, diet, eating pattern etc.) and how you transition to maintenance.

Everyone does have weight fluctuations though! Set yourself a weight range not a single number.