How do you not get bored working out?

Options
Hi all. I'm eight weeks into recovery from a knee injury and can only bike and use the elliptical. I used to do some personal training at the gym and was going to run a group fitness class, so as you can imagine, I typically varied my workouts quite a lot. I'm really just getting bored. Music is nice and has always kept me motivated, but it's less efficient now that I'm just repeating the same kinds of exercise.

So what do you do? Do you watch a movie on your phone? Listen to an audiobook?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My primary form of cardio is biking, but I bike outside...I would want to shoot myself riding a stationary bike all of the time and I'm just not all that keen on cardio machines in general. I have various routes that I use and pretty much do a big tour of my city every weekend. I don't really get bored because there's just so much to see and hear riding around the city on a bike vs driving around in a car...I just notice so many things I never noticed before I started riding. Other than that I lift weights which I love, so I don't really get bored with that either.
  • goodbyefreshman15
    Options
    My primary form of cardio is biking, but I bike outside...I would want to shoot myself riding a stationary bike all of the time and I'm just not all that keen on cardio machines in general. I have various routes that I use and pretty much do a big tour of my city every weekend. I don't really get bored because there's just so much to see and hear riding around the city on a bike vs driving around in a car...I just notice so many things I never noticed before I started riding. Other than that I lift weights which I love, so I don't really get bored with that either.

I wish I were brave enough to ride outside! But it's still snowy/slippery and the roads around here are awful. But I understand your point because I'm not quite in love with cardio machines myself. I'm a trail runner.. who can't run. Being trapped inside is quite dull!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Change up my workouts between running, spinning and lifting!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Did you like the classes at the gym?

I got hooked on DVD series, but I Have to stay within a program. When I'm in limbo I slip up. When i know I have a game plan and a calendar for what I'm doing I don't get bored.

I"m in limbo..... so I need to decide Today what is next... For Tomorrow. I think its going to be P90X3. I've been 'afraid' of it, time to push thorough!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical and music every day!

And to be perfectly honest, I close my eyes when I run and pretend that I am sprinting over rooftops or training to defeat some ultimate evil, and keep yelling "WOULD WONDER WOMAN STOP? HUH? YOU THINK HARLEY QUINN LOOKS LIKE THAT BECAUSE SHE SLACKS OFF AT THE GYM? DO YOU EVEN WANT TO FACE OFF THE HELLFIRE CLUB?" in my head.

I mean hey. Do what works.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Sorry I got distracted here and totally missed the injury. I would do an audio book while on the bike. I'm really liking audio books right now and motivational books especially. things to keep the mind learning vs just stories

Good luck with knee!
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It just something I do, just like brushing your teeth. It's a part of my life.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You can get studded tyres that should give you plenty of grip!

I haven't had them on a pushbike, but have used them on a motorbike - make a big difference; wheelies on hard packed snow.

But otherwise, audio books, films and so on.
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Listen to up-beat music
    Watch tv (during monotonous cardio workouts it helps speed up time)
    Find fun workouts - zumba, Wii games esp Just Dance, the harder the better as I aim to perfect the routines
    Day dream, day dream a lot (It helps to imagine yourself be a personal trainer, silly but effective)
    Exercise early in the morning as opposed to later, you're more motivated
    Gym classes? Not for everyone but there are those with similar issues :)
    Mix it up, e.g. 30 mins of zumba followed by 10 mins of strength ending with 20 mins of toning
    Cheerleading workouts, even warm-up videos are intense
    I love Denise Austin's videos, her motivational voice is so personal you feel like you want to give it your best just for her because she wants you to get fit too.
    Hmmm I can't think of anything else now, but good luck hope you find the right exercise regime you can easily do :)
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you're a college student, getting on the cardio machines while zoning out into your notes is always good. Kill two birds with one stone! A lot of people take their iPads and read while on it
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I changed up my playlist the other day (ok I found my old MP3 and had a spot of nostalgia)
    I up the speed and see if I can not die, that's pretty interesting, then play next round number with the distance, time, calories and end of song.

our treadmills face out over the shopping center so there's usually something to look at, Friday night I watched all my friends walking to my favorite pub.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel up to running but still need to whip off some calories, I hop on the stationery bike, grab my tablet and read! I'm about halfway through my reread of the Song of Ice and Fire series, and I really think it helps. It sort of turns workout time into my self-care time twice over, you know? I'd be laying around reading anyway, but this way I'm getting hotter and hotter with every chapter D:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you can bike ride with your injury then why not do a Spin Class? They're fun and you can go at your own pace.

If I had to rely on an Elliptical or the "Dreadmill" for my workouts I'd probably shoot myself.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Music. Also, since the tvs at the gym are only on the same two stations every day, I've begun taking my Kindle with me to read something.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I watch catch up TV on my phone on the elliptical. As I don't watch TV otherwise, it's a bit of a treat. If the wifi is not working at the gym I will catch up on news by listening to audio versions of the Economist.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use my walking time to think about whatever's going on in my life and it's over before I know it. I've enjoyed listening to podcasts in the past during cardio sessions, but I don't really do that anymore. I don't like getting sweat all over my headphones, and I'm not fond of ear buds. :tongue:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    netflix for the win
    futurama
    doctor who
    family guy

that's how I do cardio inside on machines.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical and music every day!

And to be perfectly honest, I close my eyes when I run and pretend that I am sprinting over rooftops or training to defeat some ultimate evil, and keep yelling "WOULD WONDER WOMAN STOP? HUH? YOU THINK HARLEY QUINN LOOKS LIKE THAT BECAUSE SHE SLACKS OFF AT THE GYM? DO YOU EVEN WANT TO FACE OFF THE HELLFIRE CLUB?" in my head.

I mean hey. Do what works.

You are awesome.

For me podcasts and audiobooks. Music is ok sometimes, but not all the time. I lost audio dramas as well. Listening to a great one from graphics audio right now, "Warbreaker", for any Brandon Sanderson fans. ;)

I can't do a stationary bike either. Treadmill, yes, but stationary bike, no. Just no. I bought one at a yard sale once and sold it back a few weeks later.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do different things, bike and elliptical would bore me to death too. But when I was stuck on the bike I used to read a book while riding. It worked for me.

Can you do other low or no impact exercises? Like Pilates? Upper body only weights?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio machines, I watch TV or I push hard and watch power readouts.

But what keeps me interested in the gym is lifting and challenge. If I didn't work hard, it would probably be quite boring.