Reality check

Options
Wow. So Jillian Michaels just told me I'm overweight. I honestly didn't realize it was that bad. I considered the weight I'm trying to lose to be vanity pounds. I'm feeling a bit shocked right now. Obviously I need to change something. I really don't know where to begin. I try to eat healthy foods and exercise a little. Of course I know calories in vs calories out, exercise more, stay away from sugar, refined carbs, processed foods, etc... So why am I sitting here shocked that a digital trainer just told me that I'm overweight?

Replies

• NyxButterfly
    NyxButterfly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Because it's the slap to the face you needed? From your tracker, you're about the weight I was at the end of last August. All my friends were saying how I'm "fine" but I knew I wasn't. The scale proved it since I'd never been so big EVER (at 155 pounds).

It's never fun to realize you're not slim, fit and healthy. It sucks. Hard. But the first step is realizing you have a problem. Whether it's not moving enough, eating too much junk or whatever. The next step is doing something about it. And it is NEVER hopeless. You can totally do it and get healthy and fit. ^-^
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone had their own opinion about what looks good but the spectrum is narrowed by the media. Don't be overwhelmed just eat healthy and exercise regularly the results will come but the lifestyle has to be set
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Her "free" plan on her site is pretty cute. She told me I'm "overweight" too, but I am, so I just shrugged and moved on.
    Her calculator doesn't take body fat percentage etc into consideration, just BMI.
    How much do you weigh? What's your height?
  • jhr08
    jhr08 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the positive words.

determinedbut - I'm 5'8 and weigh 158lbs. My body fat percentage would probably make me feel even worse right now. I'm not in shape at all right now, so I know it's got to be fairly high.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options

determinedbut - I'm 5'8 and weigh 158lbs. My body fat percentage would probably make me feel even worse right now. I'm not in shape at all right now, so I know it's got to be fairly high.

nih.gov's BMI calculator puts you at a BMI of 24 at 5'8", 158lbs, which is within the normal range (overweight starts at 25). Granted, it's higher in the normal range, so it might not be your happy point, but medically speaking, you have a normal BMI.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

You're the same height as me and almost my goal weight (I'm shooting for 155) so you shouldn't feel bad at all! In terms of BMI you're fine. Find a workout you enjoy, track your food, do some resistance training.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Wow. So Jillian Michaels just told me I'm overweight. I honestly didn't realize it was that bad. I considered the weight I'm trying to lose to be vanity pounds. I'm feeling a bit shocked right now. Obviously I need to change something. I really don't know where to begin. I try to eat healthy foods and exercise a little. Of course I know calories in vs calories out, exercise more, stay away from sugar, refined carbs, processed foods, etc... So why am I sitting here shocked that a digital trainer just told me that I'm overweight?

Don't be overwhelmed. Start now, weigh and measure everything you eat or drink that have calories. Do the math for TDEE and set a reasonable deficit, say 500 per day. Don't buy into the demon food mindset, sugar carbs, processed food is still food and have value in a balanced diet. Eat foods you like in moderation. Start some light exercise, say walking just a little bit everyday. Start now. Good luck.